Agnostic.com

4 0

What your parents do

Anything your parents do for you after the age of 18, they do out of love.

True or false?

Mightylady 3 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mine? Pfffff. No. After 18 was the same reason as before 18: control. Especially my mother. When I finally escaped she went batshit, lashing out at everyone because she didn't have me to kick around any more. Sure, financial arrangements we're made so my brother and I could survive (possibly our dad realised the economy was going to go to shit) and maybe there was some kind of love in there on his part, somewhere, but in general? No.

And if you think you have to remind them that you're doing anything for them 'out of love' after they're 18, then it isn't love.

Yes and no. The helped me out, but there were often conditions or strings attached.

Depends on how you define "love".

"It depends".

I think the intention of this statement is probably to support an "18 and out" philosophy.

I used to subscribe to that. My kids both had full ride scholarships to state universities, so I felt I had done my job and now it was my time. Time for them to launch. I'm always here for moral support and advice, but not financial largesse.

I have softened this quite a bit though because since my kids graduated the middle class has started to evaporate and things have gotten a lot more economically challenging. My stepkids, who are about a decade younger, have gotten quite a lot of support from me even though their biological father basically pays for their education. My son and stepson had mental health issues they needed help with as well. My stepson, now done with his undergrad program, is living with us for likely a couple of years while he figures out next steps. He contributes to the household by doing chores and working, and he tutors me in advanced math while I tutor him in computer science and his mother helps him apply to internship programs.

Anything I ever did for my children, before or after 18, was out of love for them though. Including not removing 100% of challenges and effortfulness from their young adult lives, just because I can. Including not on the other hand leaving them to twist in the wind when genuinely in over their heads.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.