Agnostic.com

6 0

The objective meaning and purpose of life

Does anyone here know anything about the OBJECTIVE (NOT SUBJECTIVE) meaning and purpose of life?

Some people who I suspect knew or were very close to knowing are
Isaac Asimov
Robert A Heinlein
George Carlin (not really but close enough)

If you know the reason for every action and thought that a person has had or will have. Then you know the answer.

Please don't post your own meaning and purpose of life. Frankly I just want the logical objective meaning and purpose of life.

Thanks ????????

Lancer 7 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There isn't one.

Not accurate but I appreciate a good meme every now and then.

@Lancer It's as accurate as it gets. There's no Objective meaning to anything.
Belief that there is is essentially the same as positing a Divine Purpose.

@WileEQuixote
Everything that exists performs a function. You just have to be able to put the pieces together, then you can understand everything that people do.

@Lancer Function isn't Meaning, don't conflate or confuse the two.

My toilet has a purpose, and serves a function, but has no meaning.

Life is the same.

@WileEQuixote
A toilet isn't life though.
But I can accept your comment on the function vs meaning part.

Simply stated, the only purpose is that which we put into it.

The objective meaning and purpose of life is: 1) to survive; 2) as entertainment for the universe that caused it.

Yes, but there's a lot more to it.

But I like the way you think. It's more than most people do anyway

There is no objective meaning and purpose of life.

gearl Level 8 Jan 15, 2018

Locally there cannot be any objective meaning and purpose to life without an external agency that intentionally made life with some meaning or purpose in mind.
Since there's no honest reason to think such an agency exists, there's no reason to think life has any objective meaning and purpose, only the meaning and purpose that we give it.

If there is one thing that dictates the behavior of all life in existence, then that is the meaning and purpose of life. I've got most of it but I just wanted to see if anymore of my people are out there.

Well since there isn't any one thing that dictates the behaviour of all life, then there's still no reason to think there's an objective meaning and purpose to life, even if we contend your claim that they are the same thing.
Life has a function, it consumes, grows and reproduces.
That's not its meaning or purpose though.

@gavlar There is one thing that connects all life in the known universe. Something that at the most basic level, dictates the behaviour of every organism in existence.

...but you can't name it, strangely.

@galvar I could name it in an instant. However I am looking for more of my people. If I were to say the answer then the test would fail.

Sounds like a baseless claim to me.
Let me know what it is once you've found "your people," whatever on earth that means...

@gavlar When I talk about "My people" I'm referring to human beings with the intellectual capacity, suitable morality and ethical integrity which allows them to have an advantage over regular humans. In life, 80% of people are average and live relatively uneventful lives. Which is why most people will never even come close to rediscovering the meaning and purpose of life.

My people have a greater potential to rediscover it.

Also I can assure you that I am well on the way to completing my research. I've already written 20-30 pages on it however I'm in the process of editing it into a more easily understandable form so that regular people can understand it.

However I will never release the document. It isn't for me to decide whether or not humanity deserves this gift. In order for them to be deemed worthy of it, they must demonstrate that they are ready for such a responsibility.

I have sworn never to reveal the meaning and purpose of life to regular humans ever again. Only advanced humans, my people, are worthy of such knowledge.

Also I'm happy to say that I was successful in finding 2 advanced humans recently. Neither of them know the meaning and purpose of life however I am confident that they will be able to understand it.

Interesting, I can easily imagine a narcissistic cult leader saying almost identical things.

@gavlar I'm not sure if you realize this but out of all the species that have ever existed on earth, only ours has ever had the capability for greater understanding.

Is it too much of a stretch to believe that the true objective meaning and purpose of life was only recently rediscover-able due to our technological advances in scientific pursuits?

Also is the meaning and purpose of life supposed to be easy to find? Of course not, if everyone knew it then society would function exceptionally well and efficiency would go through the roof. Our civilization would enter its golden age. This is not the goal of the meaning and purpose of life. Any of my people (If the were still alive) would have concurred on this point.

Don't try to belittle someone like me, I am currently the last of my kind and I am searching for the rest of my people. But the probability that I will find them alive is low. Because the meaning and purpose of life is a self-correcting system. There is already the primary safeguard which is instant disbelief. You demonstrated this, the fact that you believe that the meaning and purpose of life is outside our grasp is due to the way you were programmed to think.

Think more, go beyond your own expectations and dare to dream that one day all of humanity will be able to re-discover what I have. But also hope that they will do the right thing with it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15251
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.