Agnostic.com

7 1

Conservatives are generally against a welfare state, but it also seems like the majority of conservatives are also for automation because it will keep corporate production costs lower and will in turn lower the cost to the consumer. Automation will generally eliminate the need for employees at "low skilled" jobs for the most part. There are already low skilled workers that have jobs that are already on some form of public assistance because their job doesn't pay a livable wage. cough Walmart cough. Just to name one example.

All those low skilled workers will be out of jobs and most of them will not be able to go to college or learn a trade. Even if they did, they would need to apply for help in paying for it. That money will be coming from the state and federal government.

How can they justify automation and not think that it will cause more of a welfare state?

Piece2YourPuzzle 8 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe they could be people ask customers how they are doing and if you need help. Maybe society could invest in something besides just shopping.

I used to be a staunch conservative, but now I'm much more Libertarian-esque. My dad is a mechanic and my mom was a receptionist, so I did not grow up lavishly by any means. I put myself through trade school and college by working full time (making minimum wage) and getting student loans. I didn't get much as far as financial aid (maybe $1500) and I was a D student in high school, so I didn't get any grants, scholarships, etc. I know that a lot of people hate hearing about boot straps, but I didn't expect anyone else to take care of me, so I took my own future into my hands.

As far as the trades go, most of them are hurting for help so much that you could literally walk into your local business of choice and let them know you're interested in working. They will probably do on the job training, or like the company I work for, send you through college. The opportunities are out there, you just have to show initiative, and stop expecting someone else to take care of your life.

Yeah, but we're not in a society where it's full automation yet. Times are changing. It's not the same thing. You also aren't everyone. It still doesn't really address the topic.

They fail to realize that if they want the public to buy their goods then the public needs a living wage in order to afford those items. I avoid the self checkouts.

Did you notice Wal Mart made a big deal over their bonuses and wage increase but not so much over the closure of their Sams Clubs and the elimination of jobs recategorized and given a lower pay rate which the eliminated employee could apply for. A hospital in Orange County CA pulled this when my brother worked there. Made them all start over as new employees and lost their seniority.

Yeah, 63 Sam's Clubs closed and then they got rid of 3,500 co-manager jobs and added 1,700 lower level positions. All in all it's over 10,000 jobs cut. Plus, the $1,000 bonus is only for employees that have been there for at least 20 years. It's a tiered bonus. I think 14-19 years was like $800.....and so on and so on. So the 20 year bonus comes out to $50 a year. Those types of jobs have high turnover so I'm guessing not too many got the $1,000 bonus. They basically got some great PR over the increase and bonus, but it's costing them a fraction of their profits. I think it was like less than 4% of their profits. They look like good guys now with minimal loss. So borrowing about $1.5t over the next however many years was worth it for that type of action? As for the employees reapplying for jobs, it doesn't mean they will get rehired lol

They...don't...care....Individual welfare - bad! Corporate welfare.....good! Even Adam Smith, the so-called father of capitalist free market economics, wrote the unrestrained capitalism will destroy itself it too successful. Modern conservatism, actually reactionary conservatism has more in common with religion than economics or political science. Faith.

Hmm. It seems to me conservatives are generally against welfare for people, but LOVE corporate welfare. I think they're less concerned at lower prices for the consumer and more concerned at maximizing profits; automation means lowering costs at the same price which increases profits.

They just want ll the money. They'll tell you they believe whatever it takes to meet that end.

godef Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

This is why the idea of guaranteed income is starting to be floated around in more progressive countries. Don't think we're at that point yet, but just imagine when self-driving vehicles are ready to be rolled out in force. Every truck driver, delivery driver, and cab driver will be out of work.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15283
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.