Agnostic.com

21 3

At What Age Were You a Non-Believer?

Just curious to see how old folks were when they stopped believing in religion or any higher power? I was raised in Christianity, but the older I got...the less sense it all made, and I finally realized when I was 21 that I am agnostic. There are too many contradictions in every holy book, and far too many religions for only one to be "right." I'd love some feedback on this 🙂

how2startafire 3 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The process started in college when I was about 20, and within a year or so I was in a fully agnostic mind-space. After that, it was a gradual admission that I didn't believe in theistic claims at all.

I was raised Catholic, but never felt comfortable in a church, or doing anything church related, really. I was 13 when I told my parents I didn't believe in god. I felt about god the way I felt about Santa Claus - cute story, but not real. They were NOT happy, and my dad even less so when I started showing interest in pagan religions. I was just curious, but he threatened to throw me out if he caught me casting spells. I think I scared the shit out of him LOL. We've come a long way since then. Both of my sisters are also non-religious, and my parents love and accept us even if they're not thrilled that none of us go to church or will have our children baptized.

It was the second grade and I turned to a kid behind me in line headed for the library and told her "I don't believe in god." That kid promptly told my class this fact before story time started and I took one look at the way my second grade class gasped in horror or hatred and I quickly stammered out some excuse and accused the kid who sold me out of lying. And I kept my mouth shut for the next 20 years.

I find that interesting, because the school where I went to elementary was the opposite. Everyone else's parents were skeptics and scientists, whereas I was raised in a Christian home. So I was the outcast because I believed.

I think it is the natural tendency of children to parrot their parents' views at least to the minimal extent they understand them. So this sort of experience will depend entirely on the general beliefs of the majority of the parents.

As for me, I started doubting my so-called faith around age 19. Finally coming to the conclusion that it was all a lie, and then being totally OK with no longer believing any of it made a huge positive difference in my life.

I wish we had a society where you could have felt comfortable being open about your beliefs at an earlier age, but given the social pressures we have to navigate, I can't say it's surprising.

1. But it was a gradual evolution from when I was 18 years old. At first I stopped going to church except for the holy days (Ash Wed, Easter, X-mas). Then I stopped going all together. Then I stopped believing in the church institution and its practices (e.g. Communion, sin confessions, priests, Pope, etc.) Then a little after (when I become more aware of political and social environments, and scientific consensus - which is when I felt like I became a true adult), I stopped believing in god (any god) altogether.

I've always been a skeptic. Asked too many questions in Catholic school. Eventually declared myself an atheist around age 18.

I think I was 28 when I stopped believing. It took about a year of hardcore research and studying to get me to that point though.

I’ve not believed as far back as I remember. I did not know I was a nontheist until my late teens. I didn’t know what it was—or wasn’t.

For me it was watching cancer kill my mother who was raised catholic. how could a god let someone die like that?

I began at 18 when I was in my second semester of college. I was taking a practical logic course and it made me realize that what I believed did not make much sense. The arguments for my faith was flawed and God couldn't be three beings and only be one at the same time; God also couldn't be this angry destructive enforcer as well as being a super loving overseer at the same time.
My family is still religious as my grandfather is a pastor, but I hide it well since I know how to play the role.

I was raised as a Catholic, and went to private school all the way through high school. I believe somewhere around junior or senior year I started to call things into question. I wouldn't declare myself an agnostic until my second semester of college, sitting in my intro to psychology course. Sitting down and thinking about human nature made me sure of it. In other words, I became an agnostic at age 18.

I was very young and remember reading the material and started to form what to me were logical conclusions about invisible beings that demanded obedience, and wanted/needed regular donations of money. My journey has been a life long one, and I raised children carefully. Over time I came to understand many supportive things about my perspective. I did take a world-religions course and always have taken the time to understand religious
belief systems. I have as many books as I can find on any and all religions, I want to be informed in my decisions. I have actually read the King James
version of the bible. I feel as though I understand it better than some believers. I feel that I have made my choices from one of knowledge and with conscious and thoughtful consideration.

I was raised as a fundamentalist but starting have questions early on. Did a lot of researching other religions for a long time. Probably fully went atheist around 25.

Iffy Level 5 Jan 15, 2018

I gave it up around 15 and I am actually not super proud of this, but it was because a girl I liked asked me why I believed...and then once she started questioning my beliefs, I was able to see the faults and start to question them myself. I owe her big time!

I was raised in a roman catholic family, so it was just something I accepted. As early as I could remember, I didn't care for the rituals of the religion or its silly rules. Just didn't make sense. As I turned into a young adult, I claimed to be a non-denominational christian. Surely, an all-powerful god wouldn't be as petty as religions make god out to be, right? When I was 25, I realized how much my belief in a god rested on a foundation of blind acceptance. I heavily scrutinized my beliefs; my faith. With the help of Christopher Hitchens, I liberated myself from the shackles of christianity. One of the best feelings in my life.

Marz Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

Well I was born a non-believer. Then I was taught that there was Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, in Jesus, I figured out on my own that none of them were real by the time I was four.

1. I came out as an atheist last year.

Realization: sometime between 6 and 7.

Separation: sometime between 16 and 17.

Free since 1957....

When I was born until I was forcefed that drivel... then finally regurgitated it permenantly sometime around 4-5 grade. GACK! GACK!! GACK!!!

I grew up in church. At one point I was extremely religious. I'm a fairly intelligent person, though, and a thinker. Over time I started to have more and more questions. For a long time the brainwashing worked and the fear of "backsliding" helped keep those questions from really taking root. At 23 I found myself in an abusive marriage to a man that was cheating on me regularly. I was told by everyone I knew that my job as a woman was to shut up and take care of the kids and let him do his thing and if I left I was a sinner and would go to hell. I went to a preacher for guidance and marriage counseling and he told me to read a few Bible verses about "good" cheating men in the Bible and how their wives were good Christian women and took care of them through it. I struggled. Then one day the abuse went way too far and he hurt our 2 year old and tried to hurt our newborn. I left. I slowly started to break out of that brainwashing. I knew a "good" god wouldn't want anyone to suffer like that. The walls started to come down little by little. Then one day I saw a post online. I don't know if you'd ever come across the guy that wrote things out on blackboards but he had something about religion and homosexuality and it made sense. I allowed myself to realize that nothing about it made sense. The glass shattered. I started seeing more and more flaws in Christianity. At 25 I finally allowed myself to acknowledge that I didn't believe in any god. It was scary. I grew up believing that I'd go to hell for doubting. I learned the fear before I was even in school, it was illogical but also ingrained. I quickly embraced the new view and now it amazes me that I could ever believe in something like that.

I grew up in church. At one point I was extremely religious. I'm a fairly intelligent person, though, and a thinker. Over time I started to have more and more questions. For a long time the brainwashing worked and the fear of "backsliding" helped keep those questions from really taking root. At 23 I found myself in an abusive marriage to a man that was cheating on me regularly. I was told by everyone I knew that my job as a woman was to shut up and take care of the kids and let him do his thing and if I left I was a sinner and would go to hell. I went to a preacher for guidance and marriage counseling and he told me to read a few Bible verses about "good" cheating men in the Bible and how their wives were good Christian women and took care of them through it. I struggled. Then one day the abuse went way too far and he hurt our 2 year old and tried to hurt our newborn. I left. I slowly started to break out of that brainwashing. I knew a "good" god wouldn't want anyone to suffer like that. The walls started to come down little by little. Then one day I saw a post online. I don't know if you'd ever come across the guy that wrote things out on blackboards but he had something about religion and homosexuality and it made sense. I allowed myself to realize that nothing about it made sense. The glass shattered. I started seeing more and more flaws in Christianity. At 25 I finally allowed myself to acknowledge that I didn't believe in any god. It was scary. I grew up believing that I'd go to hell for doubting. I learned the fear before I was even in school, it was illogical but also ingrained. I quickly embraced the new view and now it amazes me that I could ever believe in something like that.

I'm 39 now so probably when I was 33. I had deconverted from Christianity but was still looking into more spiritual stuff for a few months but none of that stuff could really sell me either.

Sethy Level 4 Jan 14, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15312
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.