Agnostic.com

2 0

Differing cultural attitudes towards sex can be eye opening. Dutch teens were asked what they thought of one of their male peers who had condoms in his wallet. They responded that he was smart because he was prepared to practice safe sex. When American teens were asked the same thing they responded with, "ewwwwww what a pervert!!" What are your thoughts?

SamL 7 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stick to the Dutch (or rather European) attitude. To me it is pretty much the norm.
Actually in my high school in Bulgaria, there was an experiment where the 11-12 grade students, majoring biology-health sciences were supposed to give lectures on "reproductive health"(safe sex) to the 5-6 graders, under teacher supervision, assuming 11-12 graders would have some experience already and would find it easier to find a common language with the 5-6 graders on such a matter, rather than the teachers themselves.

Honestly condoms kept in the wallet are not all that safe they have a limited life at best and tend to suffer mechanical damage. Been along time since I was a Canadian teen but, in raising teens I was more concerned about their being thoughtful about sex and not take chances with there health or emotional well being. I never once told them that they couldn't have sex because that was their choice not mine; I just wanted them to think before they jumped into it.

It's safer to have condoms than not. Wanting kids to be thoughtful is something parents should impress.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1533
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.