Agnostic.com

7 0

How does an all knowing PERFECT GOD make a defective person and allow evil?

Marine 8 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a great one for confusing creationists

me : How does an all knowing PERFECT GOD make a defective person and allow evil?
Theist: God has given us the gift of free will, we are created perfect but can choose to do evil?
Me : which makes us imperfect?
Theist: Of course.
Me : So Someone with evil in their heart is potentially evil and so cannot be perfect correct?
Theist: That's right (smug smile)
Me : Where did Evil come from?
Theist: What?
Me: If everything was created by God and comes from god where did evil come from.
Theist: Tut, evil did not COME from anywhere it is a choice made by people.
Me: So what makes Evil evil?
Theist: If a thing or action goes against god or his teachings it is evil
Me : I see so how did we know?
Theist: What?
Me: how did we know what was against the will of god?
Theist: SIGH it's in the bible
Me: So Adam and Eve had a bible?
Theist: No of course not they talked to god directly and he told them what not to do.
Me: So he explained evil to them?
Theist: Yes
Me: So God is potentially evil then?
Thesit; What?
Me: If he could explain it, he must have been able to understand it, so therefore he was potentially capable of doing it, which means he had evil in his heart and so was potentially evil.
Theist: NO, god is perfect, not evil at all, pure good.
Me: But they broke his rules and he got pissed at them, that's in the bible
Theist: NO, yes, no hang on, that was the devil, in the form of a snake, he tempted them.
Me; Who made the snake?
Theist: God did
Me: And the snake was evil?
Theist: yes
Me: So god made the snake who is the devil who is the epitome of Evil, the personification of evil, but god is totally good?
Theist: erm......
Me: How?
Theist: God works in mysterious ways, god's ways are not our ways, you're reading it out of context, FECK OFF heathen!!

I ask you, how in this day and age do educated, mature adult people still believe this blatant crap!

That's the joke , right ?

It is an incoherent set of beliefs. The simple fact is that most theists don't bother to think it through.

The paternalistic god is really a projection of people's uncomfortable relationships with their own fathers -- which, ironically, is often itself based on fathers trying to emulate the imagined heavenly father and to demand the sort of fealty and unquestioning obedience from their children that this imaginary character supposedly commands from believers via his perfection. It's like the divine right of kings applied to fatherhood. It's fucked up.

Because we created god in our image (less then perfect.)

I think you should be asking that to theists..

They'll just cite the fall from grace and free will. Same tired arguments they always give.

The world may (will) never know.

JimG Level 8 Aug 12, 2018

Sure it does.

When confronted by a religious zealot i ask the above question and the most frequent answer is that he grants us free will.I will then ask did the church , school or hospital he just destroyed display free will? It is amazing that they will not have an answer for this question. My response is that there is no god and that the latter was just an act of nature. Good and evil are just natural responses of nature displayed in man.

Yes that is a very good observation. Free will does not explain tsunamis or earthquakes or tornadoes. A lot of human suffering is self-inflicted to some degree, but an awful lot is not. They try very hard to try to dance around that, claiming that natural disasters are god's punishment for national sin or some such bullshit, but there's no getting around it. If their child suddenly contracted cancer, unless they're total asshats and wingnuts, they will see that as unfair and awful to punish a child for a parent's sins, or even its own sins.

That's why more than a few believers suddenly decide god doesn't hate gays when their own child comes out. When it becomes personal, their wall of denial often collapses, unless they're heartless enough to double down on it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:153816
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.