Agnostic.com

3 1

Best and worst experience with or as a babysitter?

I recall only one babysitter in my lifetime, my uncle. He was just 17 years older than me. Only thing I remember about it was that he pretended to be hurt and laid down on the living room floor like he was passed out or dead. He thought it was funny. I didn't.

I started babysitting when I was 11 and continued on until at least 19, as that was the best way I could make money. I had many regular babysitting jobs that led to other jobs by word of mouth, and at one time watched 6-9 little kids at once for several hours. I was even taken along on vacation with a family from one of my regular jobs. If there was a worst experience, it has since left my memories.

How about you?

MyLiege 7 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had pretty terrible experiences with babysitters. Abuse, neglect, bullying, basically everything. When I was 5 I fell off a fence and broke my arm, so the babysitter sent me to my room without supper because I wouldn't stop crying. Lost some skin being drug by my feet over carpet without a shirt on, I think I was maybe 8 or 9? That's far from everything. Lots of problems growing up in the 70s...

I babysat a few brats as a teen (yeah, back then boys could babysit... Weird, huh?), but mostly just played with the kids until they got tired. No real issues.

My kids have had it pretty good, a nice in-home daycare when they were babies, and I've been working from home for about a decade, so lots of personal contact. One summer I hired a "fun coordinator" for them, a former lifeguard, they're still close friends.

Oh boy. I have two stories. When I was like four or five I accidentally locked myself in the bathroom at the babysitters. I don't remember much about it but my older sister did. She said the babysitter was very crabby and might have had early dementia. Evidently the babysitter kept yelling at me and saying I wasn't going to get my snack if I didn't get out of the bathroom. My 7 or 8 year old sister had to help me get out. As an adult, we had the police come and haul our babysitter off to jail. The babysitter had no license, though she said she did, and was watching too many children at once. I should have figured out there was a problem when after a month or two the babysitter started having my son ready to go and would meet me at the door when I went to pick him up. Looking back it is clear she started watching too many kids and then didn't want me coming in her house and seeing all the kids.

Yikes! Times have changed since my babysitting days!

My large family always had elders teen or older around my absent busy business parents. ...I dated while babysitting my Dorothea trusted me at my sisters house with a nephew and 2 nieces. ...watch ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING for great music Chicago SKYCRAYPERS and the alleged god Thor come to life for a 9 year old girl believer

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.