Agnostic.com

2 1

Grace with grandfather

hey everybody, I consider myself a humanist atheist kind of deal i am 21 and i've never been too religious but i would say i made it "official" and started calling myself atheist at around 14. i go over my grandfathers house a good bit for diner. hes very religious (Russian Orthodox) he doesn't eat meat on Friday's and always wants everybody to say grace. now when i'm over friends houses i'm not shy. i tell them how i feel. in fact 90% of them already know, however my grandfather is 90 years old and has been religious all his life. I kind of just hold my hands and mumble along but i don't even really feel comfortable doing this. I don't want to break his heart or be rude but i can't be the only one eating or not participating in grace while everybody else is. any advice?

TheCozmic1 1 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think just being kind and thoughtful of your grandfather shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable. It is something that should have no affect on your thinking, but keeps family peace.

Don't hurt someone important to you because you feel the need to be honest, where is the harm in playing along. It should always be a measure of the harm of the truth and the harm of the lie when dealing with someone feeling that is, too, old to change.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.