Agnostic.com

4 1

Aethism is the disbelief in god. Without god how can there be good or bad since ethics is based on morals and morals are determined by god? Who determines what is wrong and right?

SamL 7 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Man, I want to write paragraphs on this. I've thought about it a lot in my life. But I'm going to keep it simple. You don't need a God to know that you need to treat people right. As a matter of fact, you're way better off without a God. I doubt the hate for homosexuals would be nearly as strong as it is without a belief in God.

The only thing that you need in order to develop morals is a belief that people are special and have value. You can figure out the rest from there.

No an atheist is a person whom does not believe in a claim of a god as the claim has not been proven, and ethics and morals are dependent on the well being of ones self and of others, morality is treating others as we would want to be treated and expecting others to do the same to us, this has nothing to do with mythical and or beings whether they are supposed to be a god or otherwise

You are starting out with a false premise. Atheism is what we all are when we are born. Someone who cones back to atheism, has thrown off magical thinking. Atheism is accepting the fact that a concept of a god or gods is man made.

Please see external link about morality.

Thank you for the link. That is more or less the answer I was looking for. I'm wondering why some on this site are so judgemental and seemingly rigid in their outlook.

First morals are not determined by god there are no gods, they are determined by human societies. The same is for right and wrong; what is right in one society maybe wrong in another.

So the seven words you can't say on television may one day allowed though some have already snuck through.

Of course they will I have heard them all on TV already

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1548
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.