Agnostic.com

1 0

I wrote this in a conversation on whether or not thoughts were physical or some form of energy linked to the soul, with that energy not being destroyed on death per the conservation of energy.

I'd like to widen the reception of this just to hear more people's opinions on what I've said.

A brain surgeon could certainly touch "thoughts," in that he could touch the neural clusters they are contained in. However, an astronomer can't touch the sun or any distant star, but he could calculate its mass, shifts in its electromagnetic field, and even how fast it's spinning.

Insofar as transformation of energy is concerned, energy is a physical thing. For example, photosynthesis converts energy from light into the energy binding atoms in glucose. However, in this way, any form of energy can be converted to any other form of energy: solar sails convert light into kinetic energy, solar panels convert it into electrical energy, and any change of energy results in a portion of thermal energy.

It is reasonable to say that a thought comes from a transformation of energy, but neurological science shows us that it isn't its own form of energy. Neurons release concentrations of salts in response to stimulus, with the salts transferring their ionic energy to the next neuron in a chain. And, the larger the clump of neurons the more complex the manifested thoughts are. With smaller creatures such as fruit flies, scientists have been successful in manipulating these neural pathways to force certain reactions given a stimulus.

However, the human mind is simply so massive in comparison to a fruit fly, that the work to properly map and simulate a human brain would take decades of research and computing power even further away. This certainly has not stopped researchers from trying however.

This article might be a good read if you're interested: [wired.com]

Here's a link to the original post:
[agnostic.com]

Sheitelhau 5 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe that thoughts have energy because how a person thinks has a direct effect on how they feel emotionally. That is the cardinal rule to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which has helped me to feel empowered, it reminds me that while I cannot control a lot of things that happen in my life, I always have a choice about my attitude and how I react to it in any given situation.
I also believe that people are more than just their physical body, that there is a soul and that there is something in the Universe that is greater than myself. But that does not excuse me from acting in a moral and ethical manner towards the world we live in. There is no free pass to absolve me from that obligation. And I also believe in the power of love to transform humanity in countless positive ways, and because of that transformative power of love, ultimately things work out for the greater good, although we usually don't realize it except in hindsight. My argument about organized religion has always been that it supposedly exists to bring people together, but instead it stratifies and marginalizes people. So many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion , and the belief that there is only one way of thinking, and that it is okay to persecute anyone who does not share the same belief system. To me, the wholesale censorship of ideas and the punishment of those who dissent the status quo, is the root problem that can undo civilization if it is left unchecked.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.