Agnostic.com

11 0

Widows or Widowers

Just curious about how many of you folks have lost their other half? And we're they also aetheist/agnostic? How did you deal with a family that are mostly God fearing folk. My Roman Catholic upbringing has scarred me with extreme guilt.

Meme0309 5 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hope you can fully recover from that rather insidious Catholic Guilt BS. I have helped a few Catholics ascend from the darkness of superstition into the light of reason and they, (both in a matter of months) managed to loose fear of hell and not feel guilty for "sins" that they now fully recognize were baseless. In one case, the X-Catholic is now filled with extreme anger over the years and opportunity lost because she was a Catholic for such a long period of her life.

I lost my wife almost two months ago. She was agnostic, I am atheist. She was the love of my life and her family wanted to tIe me to court because I was doing my duty and standing up for what she wanted done with her remains after death. She made me strong... I'm still reeling from the loss. I still haven't figured out how to live without her, but I have to for our children.

I lost my husband 5 years ago. He was 30. He was also an Atheist, but was raised in a very religious family. His grandfather was a church of christ preacher.

My husband killed himself, so I have to remind myself to be nice when his religious family members tell me he's in a better place, since their religion says he gets to spend eternity in hell. Sometimes I remind them of that, usually depends on the person and the mood I'm in. His family is full of child molesters and pedophiles, so don't feel too bad for them.

I lost my husband in 2005 to pancreas cancer. He was a Christian and a cheater. RIP

Mt late wife and I were married at a Ministers home in California,and during our 27 years married,never stepped into a Church or house of worship once. She had a few crosses in our home's hallways but nothing else of any religious context at all. Yes, we'd put a tree at Christmas and decorate the house,but that was about it. She has an Aunt in the Seattle are who raised my wife,as her birth mother was alcoholic and abandoned Kathy,so stepped in and raised her through childhood.

I was 40 and my first husband was 37 when he died from what I will describe as a heart attack as a result of complications from kidney disease. My son found him as he came home from school and called 911, but it was too late. During the next few weeks,it was difficult to explain that I was not going to have a wake and church services for him, and only a memorial service, and that he wanted to be cremated.

I was just widowed, I'm 53 he was 46. The end was just nuts and stressful. Thankfully his family was cool with no church service and that he wanted to be cremated.
my problem is now that my family. For the past 20 years they have not talked to me because I am an atheist and because I don't give a s*** what the Joneses think and boy do they. I was a wild child and they just can't forget that, even though I'm now 53 not 18. They never liked my husband for no good reason other than he was my husband. Not one of them even sent a card or called to see how I was after he died. So those are brought up to go to church every Sunday, Roman Catholics see how they are?

I'm sorry that you lost your husband, Joannie, so early in his life. I'm 53 too. My boyfriend was 50 when he died, I was 48. We'd been together 29 years but never married. His father had him cremated and a few relatives/friends gathered back east to scatter his ashes along with his mother's ashes at a favorite family spot, which was the last time I saw anyone from our past. His family and friends don't act like I was part of their family or network, just the girlfriend because we never officially married. Sorry your family has no empathy for you or your loss, that really sucks. I'm trying to build a new core of friends/relationships that will be my "family" going forward.

@AnnieMist well you were 'married' in his mind, I'm sure. I'm guessing his family maybe are the kind that think no one should 'live in sin?' But know that he loved you if you were with one another for that many years. My family is useless and just have to keep thinking that way. I need to do what your doing and build a new core of people around me. Just so hard cause I do have different views that most folks don't like!

Never loved a Lover that I couldn't live without. Never hated a lover. Honest! So the other half always had survived me and me her, for now. Unable to help.

After 51 years of marriage my wife died five years ago. We were both believers when we married but I soon "fell by the way." Of course our children were aware of our differences and our extended, Christian families were supportive and accepting all along--although they continued to pray for my lost soul. We had a church funeral and my brother--a protestant minister--gave what I thought was a very appropriate eulogy.

I was 19 when my first husband was killed by a drunk driver.
His family ran right over me and planned everything connected to
his funeral. They weren't super religious, but enough to drag it all
through a catholic church. They also bullied me into giving his mother the bulk
of his insurance policy payout.
I was young, inexperienced, immature, and had no idea what my rights
actually were. I didn't know I could have said "no" to all of that.
I hauled ass and moved as far away from them as I could get.
That was my go-to when I was young. I would run.
Now, I'd tell them all to go fuck themselves, but back then, I didn't know
myself well enough to have the confidence to do that.

They ran roughshod over your wishes and upset you, but because you were young they got away with it. The only consolation I can think of is that your husband wasn’t aware how they treated you and it made absolutely no difference whether there was a religious service or not. How did you cope with being a widow so young and were you lucky with husband no 2 ?

@Marionville I "coped" by drinking, doing lots of drugs, and having indiscriminate sex with a lot of guys. I actually ended up having a pretty good time with it all, in retrospect. I got to travel a lot, and had a fair amount of pretty exciting sex. I avoided catching anything deadly, always a win.

It wouldn't have mattered what he would have thought of it. His girlfriend was at the funeral and they were fine with it. I'm fairly certain any protestations I might have made would have been ignored anyway.
If he hadn't died when he did, I'm sure we would have divorced sooner than later.

I am a 3-time loser at marriage. I suck at it, I've made terrible choices.
I was too easily fooled, and believed the men who said they loved me.
I was young, insecure, and way too desperate to be loved. I was incredibly stupid.

That's not feeling sorry for myself, or looking for sympathy, that's just the truth of the matter.
I'm not going to sugarcoat any of it.
It was what it was. There are lots of people who have lived through worse, and my little dramas don't even come close.
I'm fine. Actually, I'm fabulous.

I have not lost a spouse to the grim reaper but I, too, was messed up for years in my youth by a Roman Catholic upbringing. Don't allow the manipulative crapola they filled our heads with to mess with you anymore.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:156546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.