Agnostic.com

1 0

Agnosticism vs. Ignosticism

How do Agnosticism and Ignosticism differ?

johnnysmith4009 4 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the popular sense of the term, an "agnostic", according to the philosopher William L. Rowe, is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of God, while a theist believes that God does exist and an atheist does not believe that God exists.

Ignosticism or igtheism is the idea that every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God and other theological concepts; including (but not limited to) concepts of faith, spirituality, heaven, hell, afterlife, damnation, salvation, sin and the soul.

Ignosticism is the view that any religious term or theological concept presented must be accompanied by a coherent definition. Without a clear definition such terms cannot be meaningfully discussed. Such terms or concepts must also be falsifiable. Lacking this, an ignostic takes the theological noncognitivist position that the existence or nature of the terms presented (and all matters of debate) is meaningless. For example, if the term "God" does not refer to anything reasonably defined then there is no conceivable method to test against the existence of god. Therefore, the term "God" has no literal significance and need not be debated or discussed.
Source: WIKIPEDIA

Agnostics believe nothing can be known or even knowable about the existence or disbelief of a God. In other words, an agnostic believes there may be a God or there may not be a God; there's no way for me to know. When you relate to this philosophy, then you understand to the fullest. So, it's pointless to debate or argue for or against either side.

@quietStorm i am an atheist in a christian family. i know for sure i’m an atheist. All of this has been driving me insane. i just don’t get it. i refuse to tell them because i know it would hurt all of them. i especially don’t want to break my mother’s heart, so i must keep this a secret from them for probably the rest of cookie clicker my life.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15753
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.