Agnostic.com

10 1

I believe in GOD. I don't believe in religion. I think GOD created the universe but man created religion. I think believers and non-believers are siblings with the the same parent. The parent is the question, "Why am I here?"

treyhill3 4 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can believe in what you like . Personally , I can't bring myself to believe in any deity . If you are 'deist ' ,does that not mean that your creator was or is quite a callous being or maybe not all powerful . Without being to rude , it seems that you are hedging your bets a bit .

Hedging my bets?

Talk about trying to have the best of both worlds. If I thought like that I'd have cognitive dissonance. What then, in your view, is the link between your God and human beings. Obviously it's not religion, as you have discounted that. So what is it?

What do you mean by "link?"

@treyhill3 I mean connection. Religion is usually the connection between the will of God and mankind. You said religion is man made, so do you see a connection between your God and us?

I feel that if I follow the inexplicable feelings I get that guide my voyage through life I will fulfill my purpose like a cog in a machine. It doesn't matter whether you call the machine God's purpose, a part of God's body, the universe, the multiverse, etc.

What I am certain of is there is far too much that is unknown to be rigid and judgmental of anyone else's beliefs, even the beliefs of traditionally religious people. Beliefs are thoughts in our heads. It's silly to ostracize and categorize ourselves based on something as malleable as our thoughts. Unless it's harming others (homophobia, racism, sexism, etc.), and urging you to convert others to your way of thinking, I am cool with you.

Unfortunately, some of us can be just as dogmatic about non-belief as traditionally religious folks are about the tenets of their religion. I left religion for enlightenment and freedom to grow towards it. Not to adopt a new set of restrictions.

I feel that if I follow the inexplicable feelings I get that guide my voyage through life I will fulfill my purpose like a cog in a machine. It doesn't matter whether you call the machine God's purpose, a part of God's body, the universe, the multiverse, etc.

What I am certain of is there is far too much that is unknown to be rigid and judgmental of anyone else's beliefs, even the beliefs of traditionally religious people. Beliefs are thoughts in our heads. It's silly to ostracize and categorize ourselves based on something as malleable as our thoughts. Unless it's harming others (homophobia, racism, sexism, etc.), and urging you to convert others to your way of thinking, I am cool with you.

Unfortunately, some of us can be just as dogmatic about non-belief as traditionally religious folks are about the tenets of their religion. I left religion for enlightenment and freedom to grow towards it. Not to adopt a new set of restrictions.

@treyhill3 I've heard that sort of New Age stuff too much over the years. It's a bit of everything and nothing specific. Good luck to you, but there are those of us who are clear about where we stand on things. That might be dogmatism to you but not to me.

No need for luck. No need to be "clear on where I stand." No need to label or judge your way of thinking as long as it doesn't harm others beyond being mildly annoying. Neither of us has the power to impose our beliefs or lack thereof upon others. Wait! Do you have children?

My gut reaction is that you are a Deist. I studied it for years.

Deism is a form of Monotheism in which it is believed that one God exists, but that this God does not intervene in the world, or interfere with human life and the laws of the universe. It posits a non-interventionist creator who permits the universe to run itself according to natural laws.

Not quite. I don't know if there is one god or multiple gods. I believe that this Creator or these Creators do intervene in the world but there is no way for us to know his/their purpose for creation. I don't think we should try to know. Rather, we should follow those feelings we often call "our gut." I think that, though some of those feelings are subconscious programming from our life experiences, some is supernatural communication.

“believing “ in a china cabinet,the china cabinet is tangible and doesn’t demand worship, acquiescence, and certainly doesn’t dole out punishment for the peasants, the very peasants GOD “created “ .... weird huh ?

Quite.

You basically said it, you THINK.. you do not know for sure. That answers everything. If you don't have a religion, then what would you call yourself.. either you are theist or you are not. You are just interchanging words.. god for parent. Then where did your so called god come from to create such an act? The brain always searches for rational thought. There is nothing rational about some "thing" creating something out of nothing.

Many things aren't known for sure..., until they are. Determining the origin of the universe (or the multiverse for that matter) a job for astrophysicists.

Why do you believe in god? I’m not challenging your beliefs, I’m just curious what would make somebody who wasn’t indoctrinated by a religion, believe in a god.

I feel supernatural guidance that rewards me when I heed it and punishes me when I ignore it.

Does it guide you verbally, or how?

No, not verbally. Feelings.

Well, I have feelings. I don't call them god though. I just call them feelings. I feel good when I do the right things, and feel bad when I don't. That's not god, that's called being human.

I have no opposition to the possibility of deism being the right answer. What form does your god take, though? If your god talks to humans, performs miracles, and has rules about how we use our genitalia, we're not going to see eye-to-eye if you can't produce strong evidence the likes of which nobody has been able to produce in millennia of trying.

I have no idea about The Creator(s) form(s). I don't think it even matters. I think it's an effort in futility to ponder such things.

As for proper use of genitalia, homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomena in several species. In the Bronze Age, however, any union that didn't produce children was considered a liability to the nation because it consumed resources but didn't provide soldiers. It's the same reason barren women were scorned. Hence, homosexuality was viewed as a "sin."

P.S. "Talking" is only one form of communication.

Your desire for magical thinking, if that's what it is, is not a rational position. In order to clarify this issue, please explain what you mean by 'god' and specifically what is this parent of which you speak?

God: Creator(s)
Parent: Impetus for the formation of Science and Religion.

@treyhill3 -- Okay, now suppose you present a compelling argument to support the existence of this Creator and its creation.

Why present compelling arguments? I'm not in the conversion business. Sounds like a Crusade to me, LOL!

@treyhill3 --Okay, fine.

I'm here cuz my parents fucked 😛

Welcome 😀

Mental picture I didn't need... parents fucking...
THANKS A LOT!!! 😕

@HeyHiHullo hahaha

Haha ! Well played , very well played!

@HeyHiHullo -- If they didn't fuck, they'd have a difficult time becoming parents. There would be incredible waiting lists at the artificial insemination clinics.

LOL!

Would you consider yourself to be more of a theist or a deist? What leads you to think there's a creator God? I don't ask questions about the purpose or meaning of life, why I'm here, etc. I find that line of questioning doesn't bear fruit. I prefer to focus on the "how" than the "why."

Regardless, welcome to the site. 🙂

I don't know the nature of God/gods. Nor do I know his/her/their purpose for creation. I believe that those who claim to know are at best mistaken and at worst deceptive.

Thanks for the welcome!

@atheist -- no, he has stated he believes in god. He's unable to address the issue of attributes. That makes him a believer, and a magical thinker without direction.

Lol! We are SO obsessed with labels. Almost religiously so, lol. What's the point in being non-religious if you're still a slave to dogma?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.