Agnostic.com

18 3

Do you think we should be lying to children?

"Do you believe we should be lying to children?"

This question was included in a reply by Andrewp93 to my post “Do you believe that all school history books to be true and accurate?”

I asked him to submit the question as his own post. That was on Oct. 4, it’s been several days since. I feel the question is very relevant so I posted it myself in his behalf even without his consent.

If I broke any rules of protocol on whatever grounds or infringe on anything, whatever, I apologize.

I uploaded a screenshot of my conversation with Andrewp93

• 2 votes
  • 10 votes
SonnyMlaPH 7 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The history books are slanted, but I think the best way to derive true facts is to read about events from the points of view of several different historians. As far as children are concerned, we shouldn't lie to them from a textbook standpoint, but it kind of sucks to be the only kid who doesn't believe in Santa, and may not know how to react to other kids who believe in him. Therefore, I wouldn't want to ruin xmas for a four or five year old, but I also wouldn't entertain any religious notions. Guess I'm glad I don't have kids- what a dilemma.

I just fell off my chair! LOL

it's a proven fact that school history books are wrong.

Now that's one big lie you got over there. The Founding Fathers have been lying to the world all this time. They have the will and the means to do it.

We've all been living in a world full of lies . . . and nobody's got a monopoly of it.

As an educator I can tell you the school curriculum are written to fulfill a goal...so, to study history from the point of view of different historians is the way to minimize the BS.. That was the way I studied history and literature... the same way I used when teaching literature to my former students...in particular when the material to be read was based on a real event.

Always be truthful ,it is surprising the depth of understanding they do have ,even at a young age.
Your children will determine that you are lying. You may reserve some of the details for an appropriate/later time though.

It's kinda hard to be absolute on anything, like "Honesty is the best policy" which I don't buy absolutely.. We can't help but lie from time to time depending on the situation. Nobody's perfect anyway. Someone said it's more of omission.

Regarding absolutes, I know of one fact that is absolut-ly true and I hold it in my hand - a crystal clear spirit - on the rocks - salud!

While I was raising my daughter I tried never to lie to her. I never told her there was a Santa Claus or any other supernatural thing. I believe it's important that they know they can trust you. I would never write something like "I never lied to her", because lying is just too easy and I'm sure over the 20 years that I was raising her that one squeaked out from time to time. But almost certainly those lies were wrong.

We can't help but lie from time to time depending on the situation. Nobody's perfect anyway. Someone said it's more of omission.

Never. I never lie to my daughter. I have been known to keep some of the information from her due to certain situations and where I believe her level of understanding or emotional maturity is. For example:
When my daughter was 10 I discovered her biological parents had moved to a different state and were pregnant with twins (they have already given birth to 6 children; 1 passed away as a baby and 5 were taken away by the state). I felt a deep need to let my daughter know as these were her full blood siblings, but I also knew she was not ready to handle such heavy news. I had since found out she lost the pregnancy. Last year I found out they were pregnant with another set of twins and they were born, both girls. Being that she was older and much further along in her emotional maturity I felt the need to tell her. Her reaction at this time was amazing. She yelled, cussed and threw things. Said how much she hated them and just let her anger out. This from a kid that holds in every.single.emotion! She showed that emotion - raw and beautiful. She now has a total of 3 new younger siblings that she has never met. She is handling it like a trooper - not shying away from it or pushing it down deep until she blows up - no, she is feeling and expressing her anger and getting past it.
So, no - never lie - never ever lie. But, yes, omit when required.

Someone said it's more of omission and not outright lies. We can always do that, and later tell the real score at the appropriate time.

There is no need to lie to children, if you want to engender trust. Give a child the answers he or she can understand and are age appropriate. Life is amazing in all ways and curiosity is to be nurtured and never hampered by lies.

Amen

Absolutely not. This teaches kids that lying is ok.. be honest with them from the start. I did with my daughter and I don't regret one bit and it taught her to do the same with her kids.

Very good!

Parents start off by lying about Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Jesus. Kids can play make believe, but need to know that it is make believe. A childhood of magical thinking leads to an adulthood doing the same. Believing in religion, infomercials, and homeopathy are good examples of magical thinking. Children should be told the truth about everything. They might not need to know all the details about certain things until they can understand or until they ask, but never hide the truth.

"Kids can play make believe, but need to know that it is make believe." Now, that's perfect!

Btw, here in the Philippines we've been practicing homeopathy long, long before we were "civilized" by the Spanish and American colonizers. We have our own neighborhood medicine men we call "herbolarios." I for one rarely take medicine. I've got a very big "medicine cabinet" right here at home and that's the kitchen.

I take 2 or 3 cloves of garlic if I feel bloated. 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast. A tablespoon of rock salt for a bum stomach, followed by a tablespoon of sugar an hour later. Headaches? A triple shot of absolutely the finest vodka, the only absolute truth for me.

omissions more like but some times you just have to fib to get ones way. they're crafty and will manipulate you if you're not on your toes. It was a rarity and now they are functioning beings in spite of me !

Omissions, yes, not outright lies. And, well, yes again, I like this line so much it knocked me off my seat, "they're crafty and will manipulate you if you're not on your toes. "

I do not recall many of the things that were told to me during my child hood, but I do recall some of the lies, not so much the actual lie anymore but more the fact that I was lied to and by whom. children when asking a question will only focus on the part of the answer that immediately concerns them, so it is not relevant to tell any more than what they are prepared to hear, but I believe that it should always be the facts

"so it is not relevant to tell any more than what they are prepared to hear, but I believe that it should always be the facts." - copy that

I answered 'yes' on the poll, but not because we should be lying to children. The choices of 'perhaps' or 'maybe' or 'yes and no' were missing, so I had no proper answer. My actual answer would have been, "It depends upon the circumstances and the type of information being imparted."

Okay, I had a great chemistry prof named Mr. Wells. The first semester was tough, but I managed. Chemistry is not my strong suit. Entering the lab on opening day of the second semester, Mr. Wells went to the lectern, slammed a meter stick against the wall with a resounding bang, and said, "Forget everything you learned last semester. It was all a lie designed to get you to this point. This semester, we are going to learn chemistry."

I learned a great lesson that day. There are some things that require a bit of finessing/lying to get one from point A to point B where the blinders can be removed.

Children, like first semester chemistry students, don't have a range of understanding and knowledge needed to grasp certain ideas and need to be eased into them. That doesn't mean outright lying to children is okay, but it does mean that we often fail to realize that they don't have the right tools available to them to process certain things without some modification. What may seem totally rational and obvious to us, may be a total mystery to them.

Advice: Think long and hard about what and how you tell a child anything and always err on the side of prudence. Just sayin'.

Never lie to a child. Explain on their level. Teach them to be honest and not to accept fantasy or magical thinking.

Of course. That's what is meant by 'think long and hard'. There is a difference between harsh reality and well thought out explanation. My kids knew the difference between make believe and basic reality very early, but it was explained in steps to avoid cognitive overload for them.

After reading your comment, I closed my eyes and bowed my forehead so low my chin almost touching the sternum, and with a little sheepish grin and a sigh, I said, "you got it man, you got it"

You were like splitting an arrow already in the bullseye with your own arrow!

No. First of all lying to children just teaches them it is OK to lie. Trying to shield them form unpleasantness only makes them ill prepared to face life's challenges.

Correct . . . but there are a lot of ways not to tell the truth and the facts outright. There's also this danger of "mental trauma" if they get shocked at the truth and facts at their tender age. "The truth hurts" so they say . . . I'm sure you've seen how Jack Nicholson said it in a fit of rage.

I felt bad letting my girls believe in Santa, that is how childhood indoctrination begins.

You could've told them to believe in Santa and the tooth fairy in some other way, not as "gospel truth" . . . but you can always make up for those lies. You love each other, surely all of you will understand each other's shortcomings. That's what love is all about.

I think children have a very good built in BS detection system, and lying to them is a sure way of losing their respect very early.

"lying to them is a sure way of losing their respect very early." that's true, so true

Never. That said, I did to my children when I taught them about Santa Claus. I also did not refute atheism to them and I deeply regret that. If I had it to do over, I would actively support non-theism, critical thinking and science and the scientific method.

I know a lot of history is rewritten and people tend to see what they want to see. I have always tried to instill this knowledge into my daughters education. I personally do not lie to her. Never was good at it ... we like to enjoy the pretend characters like Santa, Easter bunny and tooth fairy but she knows and always has known they are essentially me. We like the game. I don't use made up characters to threaten my daughter to be good or else. If she is bad she knows it is me that is disappointed and me who will punish her. I want to completely brag here; In this mostly Christian town that constantly pushes 'God needs to be in everyone's lives and in public schools' I get way more compliments about her than her fellow students that are being raised Christian. I know my daughter trusts me because I do not lie to her. I do not get this Christian thing for lying to kids and it seems to be spilling over into our history books. I sometimes think that the people rewriting the history prefer people that are religious because they are more willing to swallow the lies. After all they all ready do.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 16, 2017

Yes, just tell the facts to her plain and you both have fun in doing so. Bringing up a 12-year girl is a full time job. I hope that she really feel that she is loved. May you have the best of all the good things.

@SONNY yes she is so very much loved and I feel she actually knows my love is unconditional. Raising her is the best job I have ever had.

@Victoria we still enjoy the fictional holidays so much and their is magic.... I think more so because we know it is not real. My daughter has such an amazing imagination. She love to draw and write stories. She even enjoys going to some local VBS events with her friends. Some have a great community feel to them when they are not pushing their beliefs down your throat. I encourage her to learn as much as possible, make her own decisions, and to think critically.

You can not really blame yourself about the beliefs you had because you where raised to believe. Not raised to just learn and decide on your own. That is the fallacy that rubs me the wrong way. Not just in religion but everything. Parents and schools and communities seem to push their agendas on kids all the time. For example political party affiliation and sports team following, etc.

I feel that you're doing a good "job" raising your daughter. It's important that she know how to raise the red flag and sound the alarm in her mind - not only with regards religious beliefs but about all other things as well, taught in and out school most specially those teen age beliefs.

Please tell her not to answer a dare. Please remind her about that always.. I have two boys, 19 and 8 years of age. And I always remind them never to answer a dare. Just walk away no matter what and how many names they may call you.

Where do babies come from...

Babies come from inside their mommy's tummy you don't need to get into anything else unless they ask.

No, that being said they don't need to everything just the answer to the question they asked; too, much information is often given by adults when answering a child's question.

I used to do that - give too much facts to a answer a simple question when my first son was starting to get curious. I can still remember the questioning look on his face with his head tilted slightly to the left or to the right, probably wondering, "why's my dad trying to give me heaven and earth on a silver platter?"

atheist: I suggest you post your "Truth is always age apprpriate."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.