Agnostic.com

4 0

Position and acceptance

When we have a position on a certain topic (s) , do we block ourselves from truly being able to listen with objectivity to another persons perspective, and does that position stop us from being able to accept where others our in life and how they live it ?

Outsideit67 7 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that one of the sure-fired ways of getting a person to block out another person's point of view is when that person attacks instead of discusses.

Absolutely! Argument in those cases are generally based in fear.

Not any more

It can but it doesn't have to.

How so ?

@Outsideit67 If you are able to step back, reflect and think - I do not know what this persons back story is, I do not know why they think how they do, or act a certain way, then you may have more acceptance for them. This is not easy but actually critical. When someone does something baffling to me, I try and stop and say - what's going on with them, or at least not take it so personally. Not sure if this is clear , I am still at work 🙂

@GreatNani I see you on that! It resonates with me and is indeed a aspect of intelligence.

Depends on how firm your position is. Often "yes" to your question. Being open & accepting seems to result in less ignorance & less harm. I like that you are open enough to ask.

I find that as I have become more clear on where I am and why ; I have been able to listen to others with out the need to establish my perspective or validate my position.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:162107
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.