Agnostic.com

6 0

I got my dna tested to find out my ancestry. One thing I found odd was the ability to test for Judaism. I don’t look at Jews as a race, but, rather another religion. What are your thoughts on this?

PinkPassion 5 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I went to a talk from somebody who was an atheist Jew. He explained how being Jewish was much more than a religion, it was a culture with long established traditions that are separate from religion. While I had no problem understanding his point, some people were completely confused.

I learned a bit about this when I found out I'm roughly 18% Ashkenazi Jew. One of the reasons Judaism is still an ethnicity despite the Jewish people having migrated to Europe a thousand years ago is because there was a Jewish law against intermarriage outside their religion. Certainly people occasionally married someone who converted, but with a thousand years of fairly strict adherence to that law, the bloodline stayed pretty pure. I took the 23andMe test and found out most Ashkenazi Jews are related to each other, and thus I'm now aware of hundreds of distant cousins through that site. If humans can maintain an ethnicity through the artificial distinctions of belief, I see this as evidence that race itself is a cultural construct. Physiologically, we are all mixable race, with various phenotypes that evolved within different climates for various adaptive purposes.

I agree. The only reason I took the test was because my bio-father was adopted and I wanted to find out more where he came from. Turns out I’m something like 87% British and have more Britain in me than the average person living there which I found interesting.

But I’m glad all of you have educated me on this.

@PinkPassion -- Are you referring to the reference to markers for Ashkenazi Jew?

I’m not sure. It just said Jewish. It surprised me. To think of Jews as a race is the reason for Hitler and kkk.

@PinkPassion -- The reason I asked is because the marker for Ashkenazi Jew is unique and thus recognizable. Any other markers that might incorporate semitic lines generally indicate Middle Eastern descent that includes all humans from that region. That is to say, even if the markers narrowed down the ancestral line as 'originating' in the area known as what is currently Israel, it would not be able to say it was Jewish.

You are correct in that Judaism is a religion that incorporates all 'races' in its framework, but there are some members of the Judaic faith who can be identified as Jews genetically. Most are simply a cultural heritage with no identifiable blood lines connecting them to Judaism/Judeah/Israel/Jews.

@PinkPassion -- I am an example of the latter group. My blood line is 100% European, but a large portion of my family, including myself, are Jews.

i wonder if they can test for hillbilly.

That would be helpful!

I guess that has to do with the fact that the DNA of Jews, in general, is quite specific, because of the many years of inbreeding within all Jewish communities, because of isolation of the religious groups all over the world. Maybe it's not too much a separate race, but in a way they are. Keeping the Judaic society pure. That means there are quite some DNA-related illnesses that you find specifically in this group.

Gert Level 7 Jan 18, 2018

Ah, ok. Like in Spain with the Hapsburg chin or King Tut.

@PinkPassion I don't know if that's comparable, but who knows. I haven't heard about the issue in Spain.

Judaism is ethnoreligious - an ethnic group with (in most cases) a shared religious background. In other words, it's possible to see if you have any ethnic Jewish ancestry. This also, of course, means it's possible to be religiously Jewish without Jewish ancestry (converts should, under Jewish law, be considered entirely Jewish), or to be non-religious (or even follow another religion entirely) yet still be ethnically Jewish. It gets complicated - Judaism is like that.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 18, 2018

It is complicated. I grew up in an atheist home so the first time that I heard that and got to wondering my friend told me that they see Jews as a race and that just floored me. I always saw it as a religion. It is but just not a race.

@PinkPassion I believe the correct answer to "Is Judaism a race or a religion?" is "Yes. And no." 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.