Agnostic.com

3 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The article raises a good point. Most land is unsuitable for row-crops due to steepness, soil composition, poor drainage, or non-availability of water, but that land can be utilized for livestock.

The world has to eat—we need to keep our options open. A middle way would be to just eat LESS meat, or eat mostly grass fed beef. Nevertheless I plan to continue enjoying a juicy ribeye steak once or twice a year.

What this planet really needs is a birth control dispersion device set off.
That's not eugenics it's just reality.
We're just going to make more of a mess until that happens, plant crop oriented or not.

@Qualia I’m not sure what that is but it sounds drastic. Not every place is overpopulated. Despite our current high population most people are living very well—better than at any time in history.

I can see that there is an upper limit to the numbers that can be supported, but my plan is to let nature take care of the problem.

@WilliamFleming And nature IS LOL to the point of extinction. It's all fun and games until the trees give up, seriously. Just a couple of degrees more on the roots affects the earth's "lungs".
Climate change is going to wipe out a lot of trees.

@Qualia Do we really know what’s in the future? According to satellite measurements by NASA, the earth has been warming at the rate of 0.13 C per decade since 1979. That’s not much, and no one knows if that rate will continue. Extremely drastic actions based on fear are very apt to cause more damage than no actions at all IMO.

@WilliamFleming Yeah see how that not having fear thing works out when you're about to lose your house from flames in California et al. You do you. I'll keep watering my trees.

Great article. The reintroduction of beavers in the upper mid-west is helping to mitigate flooding. They have found prairie dogs are not the bane of the prairies but are beneficial to the health of the grass lands. So many eco systems humans have destroyed need to be restored. The key is managing the herd, even humans need to realize good animal husbandry is a must for good health.

the only answer to save the world is fewer people. That never gets discussed when the topic of veganism is brought up however. It is FANTASTICALLY expensive, and a luxury to be able to eat everything organic, and now due to lobbying even organic is under threat. Carageenan anyone? That can now be added to organic milk and still be called organic, even tho it's inflammatory to the gut.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:164468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.