Agnostic.com

6 1

Does religion tell us what is right or wrong or does that come from society and training by our parents?

Marine 8 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Didn't you get your religion from society and your parents?

But did i learn right from wrong from them or religion/

@Marine First of all, no one can really answer that for you. But, more importantly, why does it have to be an "or" choice? If you got your religion from your parents (and society) how can you completely separate them? They are intermingled.

I believe we all have a certain innate sense of right and wrong. Sociopaths being the exception. (Trump, I am looking at you.) Religion is a political tool to control the masses to complacent obedience. Some parents do help teach morals, but that was not the case in my family. At the age of four I came to the conscious decision that the absolute only thing I could learn from my parents was what not to do and how not to be. But I had Asperger's and was already reading on a fourth grade level and learning my multiplication tables. I was already surpassing my parents intellect. Fortunately I had extended family that was able to see once or twice a year that were not complete drooling racist morons.

From my personal experience, from my reading “holy books”, from the current stories coming out of Pennsylvania, and from the evangelical pick for President I would say that it certainly isn’t from religion. As our parents get their morals from society, I would conclude that morals or ethics are a societal construct.

gearl Level 8 Aug 28, 2018

It's society. Parents have influence, but in the end kids decide for themselves.

As far as religion goes secular morality has long surpassed religious morality. We no longer stone people to death for slight infractions. Slavery is considered to be wrong worldwide, even if it has not bee totally eliminated in all parts of the world. The bible not only says slavery is good but says "slaves know your masters", and we all are aware of what "knowing" means in the biblical sense. Translation... "Slaves, you must please you masters sexually and satisfy all their desires, whether or not you really want to. Speaking of slavery, it is no longer acceptable as it is int eh bible to sell your daughters into (probably sexual)slavery if you have money problems, which is a practice condoned by the bible. Just a few examples of how secular society has surpassed religious "morality."

Even religion would have to get it from somewhere? Values from a man-made system would be man-made, themselves.

All I know is my parents did teach me one thing and that was the word no and nice boy. These went hand in hand with right and wrong.As I grew older and became a part of society I leaned what was acceptable and what wasn't in school, by being in groups of people and observing everything around me.So religion did not play a big part in my learning what was right and wrong.In fact it was what I learned in catholic school that turned me from religion.They told me that those who were not catholic would go to hell and I found that wrong, that eating meat on Friday was wrong and then it was changed and ok, that I must go to church every Sunday and that was changed.No religion isn't necessary to learn right from wrong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:165739
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.