Agnostic.com

0 1

So I had a conversation with someone the other day and it inspired me to write a little flash fiction. Let's call this person Dick, because well, I'm Jayneonacobb, and this is debate fun with Dick and Jayne time. A flash semi-fiction. I wrote this, on my phone in about 45 minutes, it's based on an actual conversation. I almost broke my nose facepalming, while intoxicated. (Yes, we had a DD.) I had no idea where to place this. Thanks for reading!

Dick sat back down at the bar and began his argument, "All atheists are trying to disprove god," it had begun.
Jayne took a swig of his beer and peered into the contents of his glass as he spoke, "Atheism is the rejection of a claim, therefore it asserts nothing. Besides, you can't disprove something that has yet to be proven," he set his glass back on the cardboard coaster, careful to place it in the ring of condensation runoff.

Puzzled and slightly annoyed Dick interjected sharply, "Ok, but if I have a quarter and I flip it and I pick tails, you have to pick heads."
Jayne stared blankly toward Dick and shuddered slightly at the implication. "Well, first of all I didn't agree to the terms, I don't even know what they are, so I don't have to pick anything. You just assumed I was playing," Jayne began to explain. Leaning back in his chair and slouching a little, he took his glass again.

Dick scoffed as he picked up his glass. "Ok, the terms are I flip the coin, and you get the side that I don't call. I call tails," he instructed.
Jayne sighed heavily before taking a sip from his glass. He spoke as he set the glass back down. "The quarter is real, it has two sides, thus there are two possible outcomes. Congratulations you understand what binary means. Flipping a coin isn't the same as claiming there's a god."

Dick had begun to turn bright red as he slowly rose from his chair. "But there are only two choices! Either it's heads or its tails." He began to assert, shaking almost imperceptibly as his face calmed slightly, "So if there are only two choices, and I say God exists, you, being an atheist who rejects my claim has to believe God doesn't exist. You need to prove that he doesn't exist!" His voice went from calming and shakey to full, and authoritative. Jayne shifted slightly in his seat. Carefully, he adjusted for the difference in eye level.

Sitting up in his chair Jayne calmly replied, "coins exist, we know they have two possible outcomes. You havn't proven that god exists therefore there is no reason for me to assume the opposite. I can just disagree with you, I'm not required to disprove you as an atheist. To disprove something means to make false a claim once thought to be true. I don't need to do that because you can't prove that god exists. I'm just saying that I don't believe your claim that God does exist."

Jayne could see Dick's frustration well in him. He sat back in his chair and looked around the empty bar. Dick sat back down after he realized the bored wait staff had noticed his aggressive posture. A few tense seconds later a triumphant grin spread across his face. "So you mean to tell me that not believing in God doesn't mean you don't believe in him? See, God is real!" Jayne had never facepalmed so hard before. In fact he facepalmed so hard, it had cost him his life.

Jayne was laid to rest in a Catholic cemetery at Dicks behest. His grave was marked with a white marble cross. If God were real then Jayne would have had a soul and he'd be haunting the hell out of Dick right now.

jayneonacobb 7 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16608