Agnostic.com

14 10

LINK Why Do Smart People Do Foolish Things? - Scientific American

Intelligence is not the same as critical thinking and the difference matters

Matias 8 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I also have a photographic memory and my verbal skills have always been better than average. Abstract (non-verbal, non-mathematical) reasoning has deteriorated since I started psychiatric medications. I’ve never had good judgment and can’t help being impulsive. I’ve recently discovered that people who have any one of the bipolar disorders have an un/underdeveloped inferior aspect of the prefrontal cortex. I feel much better now!

Good article.

Some are so lost in their own thoughts that they never realize their errors.

Because we are emotionally driven shaved apes in suits and dresses. Or brains have grown larger and more efficient. It's still an ape brain with lingering survival instincts from the jungle, put under a lot of new kinds of stress and pressure from our fairly new civilized live-styles.

I've often been told I'm intelligent, but I've done some incredibly stupid things (e.g. letting certain aspects of my physical health go to a degree that might be viewed as crazy. So maybe I'm a good example of a stupid intelligent person.

Because we can.

EMC2 Level 8 Sep 9, 2018

...to gain wisdom?

Just being human. It's what we do.? We make mistakes, hopefully learn from them and evolve. Or NOT...?

Emme Level 7 Sep 2, 2018

We all make mistakes, but some people make a lot more than others!

Interesting read. Particularly in the field utilitarian public education frameworks there can be many who do poorly but are extremely capable in other fields.

I did poorly in elementary and high school (barely passing and only just graduated). But when doing a university degree I got some great results. That difference between information retention and real world problem solving can be worlds apart sometimes.

Good article.

Why do birds sing so gay? Why do lovers await the break of day? Why does rain fall from up above? Why Do Fools Fall In Love? The world may never know.

They just seem foolish to smart people. Dumb people don't realize when they're being foolish. Twump for example...

godef Level 7 Sep 2, 2018

Because nobody can be smart about everything all the time?

Though I believe I'm pretty strong in the critical thinking area, I've learned that sometimes emotions can cloud the signal !

My brother is a genius with a photographic memory.

"It was in the heat of the moment," he replied, when I asked why he had four kids.

Im guessing this was their song.
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:169011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.