Agnostic.com

7 1

Which Wyatt Earp movie do you prefer?

I was a big fan of the movie, Kurt Russel's Tombstone, counting it as one of my favourite films. Val Kilmer was excellent as Doc Holliday.

Am now just watching Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp - which tells a fuller story: e.g. when he was arrested for horse thievery and when he was a buffalo skinner.

If you've seen both films, which do you prefer?

Or do you prefer other films with Wyatt Earp, like The Gunfight at the OK Corral?

• 16 votes
  • 2 votes
SamKerry 7 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't seen that one. I've watched video essays and read blog posts on the movies - hence my "sudden" interest in Costner's Wyatt Earp. I was very content with only Tombstone before. I'll put it on later tonight in the background to listen to it. Thanks!

I love westerns: Deadwood being my favourite western TV show. The dialogue in that is amazing. And Eastwood's, Freeman's and Hackman's Unforgiven is my actual favourite western film. With Tombstone 2nd. (I appreciate Wyatt Earp's more accurate retelling of his story. But it can't shake off Tombstone's more spectacular version.)

@SamKerry That was our everyday routine as kids. We were all cowboys. I had to have me a cowboy costume as a kid, hat, boots, shirt, jeans and 2 guns belt. The memories. But there is this movie from 2014. "The Salvation" with my favorite actress of RIght Now... French Eva Green. Staring Scandinavian Mads Mikkelsen. Is a movie to remember. You are in for a treat.

@SamKerry See the movie "The Salvation" here for free... is a well done foreign movie about a country populated by foreigners after all...

@GipsyOfNewSpain Eva Green and Mads Mickleson in a western? Will definitely check it out. What I like about Eva Green is she always plays the bad guys in Hollywood movies.

@SamKerry Best, most expressive eyes in all Hollywood. And she is not in the movies to be a witness. I just saw the whole movie again testing the link. Filmed in South Africa. It worked find. 720p.

I reckon many females on this site are wondering... What in the hell are they talking about... No females in that movie? Yes they were and very memorable too... like Nosy Kate and Jossy. At least Wyatt found his soulmate and love of his life and snatched her away from Behan. They lived together for 46 years. I like room service myself. Epic Reality turned into Myth and Legend of a Gunfight.

I just finished Wyatt Earp. I like that they took their time to establish Earp's character: especially his relationship with Maddie. From watching only Tombstone, I thought Maddie was his wife instead of a "friend with benefits" as presented in Wyatt Earp. Regardless, both movies didn't paint Earp as a saint - which I appreciate. Wyatt Earp did show more of his bull-headedness - especially in regards to his brothers' wives.

Anyway, I like both films. I'm glad I got around to watching Wyatt Earp. For decades, I was content with Tombstone.

One thing that both films didn't address was Doc Holliday's relationship with Wyatt Earp. From research (on the internet), they had a falling out. I suppose, they didn't want to tarnish Holliday's part in Earp's story.

Dennis Quaid was up to the task portraying Doc Holliday. Val Kilmer's "I'm your huckleberry." was a tough act to follow.

As a kid I liked the Earp done by Burt Lancaster with a catlike walk and unfortunately no mustache and still alive Kirk Douglas as Doc Holiday. I would had added "Gunfight in the OK corral" as a choice. I can't decide of the 3 but Val Kilmer looked too healthy to be sick I watch them all every time I can, I had read a lot about those events and lately there is a line of thought that those were just two gangs battling each other for a town control. One happened to carry badges. The wild west was really Wild. Eyewitnesses accounts. The triggering of the shootout being a shotgun being cocked. Lasted just seconds in very close quarters. And real life events that mimic hollywood. The mother and aunt of some of my best buddies on my teen was a police woman and she used to tell me about a unit of special arrests that did no special arrests, they lynched. Her office was next to their office and when they had a closed door briefing in the office and came out smiling with the shotguns in hand, it wasn't going to be an arrest. If you are a writer I got your story to dice it out with you, same events on a one flew over the cuckoos nest environment. On a mental and drug rehab center... "the cowboys" are the nurses, the earps are the patients, including a former dentist now a junkie for doc holiday now HIV positive character. 10 days. no shootout but a brawl to end all brawls and only shots of the epidermic kind of tranquilizers and made up shit by the dentist... in the cafeteria the day after the superbowl. With the right casting could be epic and familiarity with stories make it more believable. Based on real life events of course. I got a great imagination and creativity where ever I am I observe... and "what if". Like west side story was romeo and juliet and one flew over the cuckoos nest was like rebel without a cause. But about those two movies you mentioned maybe Earp was more historic and less flashy. Credit to Val Kilmer to be only actor to play both Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp. Great Question for those in the know for sure.

Yeah the real OK Corral fight was just a few seconds. According to Hollywood it lasted about 25 minutes. Funny.

I didn't know that Val Kilmer also played Earp. Was it in a TV show or movie?

And, yeah, the movies do exaggerate fight scenes a bit too much. As an example, In Tombstone, Ike kept shooting at the Earps from a nearby building after Earp let him go at the OK Corral because he was unarmed. And that didn't happen which was portrayed correctly in Wyatt Earp.

As an action film fan, I actually prefer quick fight scenes over the long and over-choreograph dance moves of more recent films.

@SamKerry here it goes: Wyatt Earp's Revenge

now you can stunt some experts.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Holee! Hahah! Thanks for the link. I've not heard of the movie even if it's quite recent.

@SamKerry In the movie Val tell the story of when he was young. All hollywood I think except the old Earp talking to the newsman or writer. He ended up in hollywood as a historical advisor on cowboys movies.

Wyatt Earp is a fascinating character. Ive read a lot about him. Tombstone with K. Russell was in terms of history a load of crap, but a great movie. Russell was too small a guy to play him but who cares. Kilmer was excellent as The Doc.

I like your take but didn't liked Kilmer as doc not for no talent but he looked too modern and healthy, To convince me I needed more than just sweat. I liked Dennis, he lost a lot of weight to look sick as Doc. But Kilmer spoke his latin and always high looking as a Georgia well educated killer. Tombstone was Flashy alright. Sure that Kirk Douglas as doc was flashy and sick at the same time. But good post. Those were great movies.

I chose Wyatt Earp, but I liked them both equally....Tombstone was all superhero-y....while wyatt earp was gritty....lots of catch phrases in Tombstone....but a fuller movie in Earp...

Didn't mean to reuse your 'fuller' description....but it did have much more substance.

I just finished Wyatt Earp. It definitely has a lot more substance and is less sensational than Tombstone. For example, K. Russell's confrontation with Ike at the train station ( "You tell 'em I'm coming and I'm bringing hell with me!" ) is much more memorable than K. Costner shooting Stilwell's dead body over and over again.

I'm not gay, but I like Costner. He seems to instill an element of truth in any story he does, though I may be wrong. He's also somewhat self-deprecating, which I'm not very good at.

(See what I did there?)

BAM!...haha....I actually did a spit take on that one...well done, sir....well done!

I like that his movies are very thorough - even his sports movies. I'm a K. Costner fan, definitely. I loved his Mr Brooks character. But I've been a K. Russell fan for longer since he was a kid and was Disney's "next big thing".

(I'm not gay either. And the joke did go over my head - not that it matters because I'm cool with it.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.