Agnostic.com

5 1

QUESTION Hyper Religiosity, Psychiatry still has no clue. - Atheist Nexus

Has religion caused depression or other Mental Health issues for you? I would like to hear your stories or please share your thoughts. I am compelledunbeliever on Atheist Nexus.

DavidLaDeau 8 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would say for the longest time I struggled with my homosexuality, I even voluntarily placed myself into therapy to "cure" myself of it. It made me incredibly depressed and suicidal, I even attempted to take my own life at the age of fourteen because of all the bullying I suffered from religious families/children and the discontent/ pressure from religious leaders. I lost friends when I came out in high school and almost lost my home when I came out to my mother. Currently now the relationships I have with friends and my mother are much better now that lots of time has passed.

Dude I hope you have accepted that you are human and that those around you do also, from a very straight guy that has a perhaps unhealthy obsession with breast. Don't let them beat you down!

@DavidLaDeau Yes I have I've accepted my attractions years ago. But thank you for your kind words. Everyone loves boobies.

Organized religion is not my cup of tea although I would go to a service with someone provided the church is open and liberal

The liberal churches are fine with me. They are involved with helping the poor, being kind and generous and working for human rights. The Fundies ... well ....

I have been gone for some amount of time. Had to reset everything, but in the words of Sen Hart, I am back he he . . The Presbyterian churches up in this neck of the woods are quite liberal. I went to a service and the sermon was a grand sort of in the "we can do it all if we work together"

Religion has caused me great mental aggravation. Just when I have to listen to annoying, judgmental, narcissistic believers.

I'm a therapist. I have seen how religion has affected people in regards to guilt and fear, I think for obvious reasons. Also, it is, for lack of a better word, interesting working with people diagnosed with schizophrenia who are having religious based delusions. My own personal experience, I was never religious. However, I spent several years looking for some indication I would exist in some form after I died. Now that I have given up on that useless pursuit, I actually fear death less. And yes, psychiatry is not immune to negative influences from social norms - dysfunctional belief systems.

Thank you for a professional opinion on the matter. Thank you for your service to human beings, it is extremely important and appreciated. I hope I did not appear to bash the entire Mental Health field. Every field can and should do it best to improve just as the Mental Health field is doing. Sometimes it takes an odd ball to point out from where those improvements might needs to be addressed. Again your work is very highly valued.

@DavidLaDeau Thanks. No I didn't take offense to any of it. I have my own issues with the field. And yes I agree that sometimes it takes an odd ball to make needed changes. That is the basis of evolution right? It takes a mutation for evolution to occur.

@VirginCotton Is there a chance that the mental health field simply overlooks mental health issues caused by religion? My case was severe, but I suspect that there are many more like me that are simply overlook because it is no normally a consideration unless the patient is from a "cult".

Religion is generally shown to help with mood issues because it offers solace, purpose and meaning, whether or not that is justified. It serves as a security blanket for those times when things don't make sense or they are intolerable. Conversely, atheism without the creation of personal meaning leaves people with existential angst. Think about where people go when something terrible happens for which there is no identifiable reason. They want to know how and why it happened. They need a reason that they can grasp as part of the scheme of things in order to process circumstances and not be so overwhelmed that they come undone. Religion offers a way out of that I.e "god's will." Kind of like spiritual Xanax.

For me as I was extremely religious, the opposite was the case. It cause extreme guilt, insecurity, shame and depression, because I never felt "good enough" for the magic sky daddy to speak to me....everyone else said he did.....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17074
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.