Agnostic.com

6 3

Why do people pull straw man arguments?

I could never understabd and the point in it. Are they that hard up to try to win a debate that they have to pull a straw man argument to mislead their opponents? What do you think?

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know exactly what to say. How can I have a discussion with someone who believes people argue with scare crows?????

There I don't have to address the issue and have called your credibility into question. Win. Win.
When people start throwing down a straw man argument it is because they know they are losing the debate.

This is the oldest trick in the book in any debate.

By the way did you know that the emerald is the colour of the heart chakra

[crystalinnercircle.com]

And there is a Hindu deity Meenakshi (one form of the godess Parvati)who is portrayed in emerald colour ,so are you hiding something from us?

[nativeplanet.com]

.or were you just born in May

[americangemsociety.org]

None of these is a straw man(or woman) though,just in case we get accused of assuming the straw persons gender .

Because they find it more important to ‘win a debate’ than solve or acknowledge a serious issue. Recognize their tactics, then ignore them. If their premise hasn’t the ability to stand up against reality, then lead them back there yourself. Don’t follow anyone down a rabbit hole, it’s too easy to get lost ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 21, 2018

I don't think that most people even realize when they do it. Structured thinking can be difficult even for smarty people.

On the other hand, politicians and pundits do it because they are dishonest.

Blimey! This the third thing on here tonight that i ha nt understood. What is a straw man argument?

An argument set up to mislead the opponent then claim to have shut them down. It’s usually an argument the religious try to mislead an atheist by shutting hem down then claiming they’ve won.

@JimmyM - this may be helpful: [yourlogicalfallacyis.com]

Gracias

What's that?

An argument someone tries to pull to mislead the opponent then easily try to shut them down.

@EmeraldJewel. Wow... I've seen that all my life and didn't know it had a name. I agree with what's already said...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.