Agnostic.com

12 5

LINK Krishnabh Medhi's answer to What is it like to be a conventionally attractive woman, do you enjoy it, is it burdensome and would you exchange this for less conventional attractiveness and few headaches, et cetera? - Quora

I've always respected people and always more helpful to women. I was raised that way I guess. Ever since I read an article about a fan letter Nathalie Portman received (and read) while she was still a teenager (actress) that described in details his rape fantasy of her, it hit me how, as a man, I will never relate to a very specific aggression that women have and continue to endure. Over the years, I've learned that almost every women in my entourage was at one point harassed, stalked, physically groped, verbally creeped or in the case of my daughter had her cocktail drugged in a bar (no other consequences in her case. She was safely surrounded by her group of GF). My wife at one point had a stalker at work (which I learned after the facts).
As a man, I have urges, yes. I have micro-fantasies when seeing a beautiful women, yes. I have looked at profiles here of nice looking women, yes. I have said hellos here and there to give a compliment or a side comment on a post. Yet, I still cannot comprehend what women go through, even worse, what some Instagram minor-celebs or other public people like female comedians or journalist have to endure just to get their face out there. One only needs to read the FB comments to get a glimpse of the deliberate condescending sexual comments these personalities receive. I've said this before: I apologize on behalf of my gender, if any woman here has been bothered or on the receiving end of unsolicited sexual advances.

Anyway, long reflection to introduce this Quora post. Very interesting insight for me as a man.

I was actually curious about this for a long time. So I carried out an experiment. I became a hot girl, online for 2 weeks. Now this is by no means an academically rigorous experiment with proper controls and bias elimination. So, please take this with a grain of salt and with the humorous intent it was carried out with. For the ethics section, see bottom of answer. Also, throughout the experiment I enlisted the help of one of my friends who is a psychology major (for anonymity, we'll call her Alice) to keep track of my mental state, for 2 reasons- 1. because playing with identity sometimes proves dangerous, and 2. I cannot be an accurate judge of my own psyche and decision making.

Lukian 8 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for posting. Yes, it is exactly that. It's a double edge sword. But I like to think instead of how the opposite works. How unattractive people get treated by these same types. They get abused and shit on in different ways. Simply because of how they look. I'm sure it's equally bad if not worse. We all age and die, looks fade away, but still, sadly, so much importance is put on appearance. I think however, life is generally easier for pretty people.

At last, a chance to share this screenshot of this curiously-worded pop-up ad that's been gathering dust in my phone!

Interesting article. I wonder what his faux character looked like to garner such responses.

As men we need to face this and see how we consciously and unconsciously fit into this unhealthy behavior. Always good to see another guy working on this.

I'm sure some feel it's burdensome and some I know use it to their advantage.

I'm sure the victims outweigh by far the profiteers. One does not justify the other. There are also men that are sluts but that does not define the rule.

Nice post Thank you.

I was never conventionally attractive but at least held my own. Never thin but never fat. Working in a male dominated job (off-set camera operator in the printing industry) I had my share of harassment and creepy guys. But I held my own.

Like people of color can't hide women can not hide and had to fight for the right to vote and be equal - still not ratified BTW - Not all white guys but some that disparaged women were also racists. There are also many non-white men that harass women.

What would be wonderful is if none of this had to matter.

This --> What would be wonderful is if none of this had to matter.

I think there's a burden to being female, no matter how attractive. It's just that the burdens are different. As a late bloomer, I was picked on as a teen for being ugly, for not being thin enough, etc., and to this day I still have self-esteem issues that stem from that. Now I find when people want to compliment me, I want to argue with them, it's hard to take a simple compliment. On the other hand, men can be super pushy or creepy or outright scary when they are attracted to a woman, and they are usually quite unaware of how they come across. The InCel movement is evidence enough. Now you have to worry about being targeted for your autonomy if some self-centered loser decides he thinks you should sleep with him.

It's a lose/lose proposition. For what it's worth, though, I appreciate your apology.

Thank you for your empathy and awareness...thank goodness there are many more men like you than those who think it is their right and privilege to harass and abuse women due to their outwardly appearance or dress...it doesn't matter what you do for a living or whether you are a private or public person...respect and kindness towards a woman is always the route to go, even if she devalues herself and seems to invite or encourage that kind of behavior. Insightful and kind post, Lukian...you have earned my respect.

(speechless) TY.

'Conventionally attractive' people can cry me a fucking river.

When younger I was extremely attractive, although like many young women with self esteem issues, I was too focused on my flaws to realize how attractive I was. It never felt like having power, but it often left me vulnerable to predatory types. That was a very uncomfortable feeling,and of course, added to my self esteem issues. Now I'm a pretty ordinary looking older woman who sometimes wishes she could have do-overs on the youth.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 6, 2018

I am pleased that I am not a 'conventionally' attractive female. Although there have been times in my life where I wish I was, just so that I could have the attention that I think I needed, in order to make me feel validated.(I think that comes from being a female because we are and always have been judged on our physical attributes). I would not want to have to deal with the inappropriate attention it could bring.
With that being said though, I think just being female, 'attractive' or not, of age or not, available or not, opens us all up to the abuse that men don't otherwise have to endure.

My thinking exactly.

So he openly admits to cat fishing?

did you read the full article?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172707
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.