Agnostic.com

8 0

Is there hope for humankind?

zarathustra13 6 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I fear we are soon to learn the solution to Fermi's paradox - if there are so many habitable planets, and life apt to originate as a matter of chemistry and thermodynamics, why is the Milky Way so quiet? Perhaps civilizations have a natural life-history, in which they alter their biosphere beyond habitability, before attaining a level of maturity necessary for different behavior.

Personally I think we're approaching our gaian bottleneck

There's hope so long as there's existence, but the real question is whether it's a guttering candle or a shining sun -- or where on that continuum it is.

Human society and the biosphere are complex systems, which tend to be remarkably resilient but also indifferent to short-term suffering and chaos. It is hard to predict the long term outcome. And there are of course always scenarios where dystopian or life-as-we-know-it-ending tipping points are reached.

My empathy and compassion for my fellow humans is unabated -- especially for individuals -- but I have grave concerns about our long-term viability as a group. I am one of those who suspects that the explanation for the Fermi Paradox is that there are very few societies that develop technology who don't render themselves extinct with it, due to a lack of maturity in use of said tech.

Of course there is !!!!! That's actually the ONLY thing we have !!!

No.

Livia Level 6 Sep 9, 2018

No.

No.

If humankind can take a step back and look at the big picture, and make some adjustments, we'll be all right. If we keep going as we are, without anyone checking us, we could very well destroy humanity as we know it.

Um okay... Figuratively speaking... With grassroots efforts, the lower levels of society might make enough noise to draw attention to the bigger picture, and convince others (by their numbers) that change is necessary for the good of all. Just a hopeful comment. You can save your time in correcting me that roots of grass can't make "efforts" and I'll keep my hopes to myself. Have a nice day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.