Agnostic.com

17 5

How do you maintain a favorite object to make it last?

I treasure two, soft cotton Calvin Klein pajama pants because they are long enough. The rest of my pajamas are high-water. Hate that. I look like a hayseed.

Cotton pajamas shrink too much. But I cannot stand sleeping in polyester.

“Buy a larger size,” people suggest. Then I have to take in the waist, crotch, hips and legs. It never works.

Today, I zig-zagged along the elastic waistband because the fabric was pulling away. This strengthened the stress point.

These pajama bottoms are eight years old. I love them beyond reason.

"You and old men are the only ones in Wenatchee who polish their shoes," a friend said.

I maintain and repair things instead of adding to the landfill.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve never in my life had pajamas long enough, started wearing cotton shorts when I was young and that’s what I still do. I totally empathize with your need for comfort.

I only sleep in a t shirt and no bottoms year around. I toss and turn so much sometimes the top sheet end up on the floor. Sometimes I wake at 3 am freezing because the sheet and blankets have done a runner.

I have a letter from my father that I keep in zip lock bag and in a box . I have a bottle of sea water , I collected from Aegean Sea , and small rocks and sand at bottom ( these were the days that u could bring such bottle in a plane !). I have this in my library room and I noticed is getting lower 😟 but I like to see it , it makes me happy .

I have a coat I've had for almost 20 years that I just keep repairing because I can't find another one like it.

I also repair items that I love...I will wear them until they are threadbare!

Good job...

i still have the joggers that are in the pics of me and my eldest day he was born mind they are early 90s hammer pants who the fck would wear those now😛

Some people just don't get it. I recently had to throw away my favorite pair of pajama pants because the elastic waist band had gone bad. I'd had them for probably 10 years and my mom made fun of me because I didn't want to throw them away. I think most of the time it's guys that have a hard time getting rid of their favorite pants or underwear, so I had to equate it to throwing away a favorite bra for her to finally understand.

Just a suggestion but when you find a type that you really really like instead of buying one buy two or three that way when one pair wears out you can slip right back into the same darn article of clothing but brand new

@Drsmash253,

Great idea, but I need to wear pj's- wash and dry them- before deciding they are perfect.

With the growing obesity problem in America, stores only order one size small. It's aggravating.

@LiterateHiker I understand

I've had my favorite casual, around the house, shorts forever. They are finally falling apart and I'm heartbroken. My toe caught the hem on one legs and ripped them.

Thank you. My dad's all time motto was "if it ain't broken don't fix it". Therefore, everything was on the edge of being broken. My motto is "if you can't ,maintain it then don't use it. The is especially true of my body. I am slowly practicing my typing using my broken fingers. Clothes; I have some that are over 35 years old. Some of my clothes became the butt of jokes, like bell bottoms, before I got rid of them. Here, on Lopez, we are famous for our take-it-or-leave-it recycling center. You'd be surprised how many people use recycle clothes, myself included.

Do what I do: sleep in shorts. They are more comfortable and less restrictive. 🙂

@Piratefish

In the summer, I sleep naked. (I know, too much information.)

With the insulating capacity of a grasshopper, I sleep in cotton pj's in the winter, snuggled under a down comforter

The warmth relaxes sore muscles from hiking and weightlifting.

@LiterateHiker

I love making a "Chris burrito". A cold room with about five blankets/comforters rolled up around me. 🙂

@LiterateHiker That almost describes me but a certain part needs to be reigned in (briefs).

Thank you, everyone!

I'll try to find soft cotton to sew new pajama pants.

Don't need to take apart the pajama pants. I can draw the outline on paper and add enough fabric for seams.

I have a 31.5" inseam. Always buy 32" inseam pants and hem them up 1/2".

You sew. Take the pajamas apart and use the parts as a pattern for a new pair. Be sure to shrink the fabric first. Good luck.

@dalevictor

I'll try to find soft cotton to sew new pajama pants. Don't need to take apart my pajamas. I can draw the outline on paper and add enough fabric for seam.

@LiterateHiker I knew you would come up with a plan. Need pockets?

@dalefvictor

I can easily add pockets.

When sewing my daughter's clothes, I added deep, reinforced pockets. Claire could put rocks, frogs, sticks or whatever she wanted in her pockets.

@LiterateHiker You are a great and understanding mother. My mom did the same for me. She has passed and I have started to wear t-shirts as I do not want to wear out what remains of what was made.

@dalefvictor

Thank you so much. Love my girl!

Suggest when you buy new pajama pants , you immediately buy double fold bias tape to mix or match your new pjs , let out the cuff , and cover the ends of the fabric with the bias tape .
Alternatively , I had a very tall female friend , who would go to the men's section to buy pj bottoms , which she used as day casual slacks .
Good luck , hon !

Now, now, LH. I am a card carrying hayseed, and see nothing wrong with looking like a hayseed. In fact, some mornings I get up and look in the closet for just the right hayseed ensemble.

I like to keep my dry leaf vaporizer clean and the batteries charged. ☺

@RobLawrence Vape my weed instead of smoke it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:175135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.