Agnostic.com

4 2

What are your thoughts on "Pantheism"

This question was borne out of the comment of member ThomasMeador to the Admin’s query “Which term(s) do you identify with?”

My apologies for jumping the gun on ThomasMeador, I can’t wait for him to make a post re this subject which all his.

I’m posting my reply to his comment, with all due respects, here goes:

Several comments ago, I repeatedly say that if I were to believe in the God of Moses and Jesus' Dad then we are all truly children of the Almighty Creator - all of us here in this universe that we know and we can see. How else were we formed but from the same stuff that God is made of, no other way.

If you remove the name of God from that statement, it will become scientific.

SonnyMlaPH 7 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love it it explained to me exactly how i wasfeeling inside. I didn't know that there. Was a word for. It. Everything is connected. Everything is divine. We all come from the same source. We are literally birthed in the oven of the stars. They create everything. Much more poetic than a religious interpretation.

Pantheism tells me that people have a religious nature built into them - they will believe in anything and make a god out of it -

I really haven't the time to read much about Pantheism. As my reply to our top neighbor paul1967, "I need to dig deeper into this Pantheist thing . . . sounds to me like a maniac picking undies from his neighbor's clothesline from across the fence."

I'd like to think that my beliefs are parallel with those guys, the Pantheists. Since I was maybe 5 years old I've always questioned everyone's religious beliefs, including my family's own, in relation to the stars and my persistent question - till this very moment - "why are we here?" still needs to get a satisfactory answer. And they all love me for that.

I once explained, several postings ago, why my profile declares simply that I'm a Believer because I believe in every man's belief. "I will defend each man as my brother, each man as my friend." so says Joan Baez.

I have to change that now to "I respect every man's belief because I have respect for every man. Now, don't feel left out, you girls and all you other guys of whatever gender - you know how intelligent you all are.

I've been rethinking your comment over and over again.

Based on what you said, "having a religious nature" certainly doesn't mean that Panteism is a religion.

And maybe for them, for lack of a better word to call whatever that anything is that they will believe in - they will call it a "god."

Anybody and everybody who believes in something or anything has a "religious" nature. Why do we always react in a near-violent manner upon seeing the words "religious" and "god"? it has meaning other than a church group of worship or almighty creator. Why? because words can be interpreted in a myriad of ways. And that's the flashpoint for misunderstanding. And if we don't understand each other? . . . well, aaaahhhhlet's-get-ready-to- rrruuuuumble!!!

I think Pantheism is more like spiritualism so I don't have much time for it. I heard of another term the other day which I was reminded of by your question:

OMNIST - a person who does not claim any one religion, practice or belief, but who finds truth in them all.

I came up with my own term for Omnists - Omnimorons!

I'll go for Omnimoronic taking the emphasis off the individual and placing it on the concept.

silvereyes: They say where there's a "wheel" there's a way.

LOL! I love the term omnimoran!

silvereyes: so, what would a DumbNut like me do, deluded, trying to find truth in everything which contradict each other?

. . . Either just go with the flow like a ship without a rudder, or the very best for me:

Sit on the fence on my side of the hill holding the absolute true spirit in my hand, absolutely clear and refreshingly intoxicating. Salud!

Oh, there is such a group? About 4 decades ago I used to have a radio handle "Omnimonde."

I happen to believe in every man's beliefs and try to live in those beliefs to find the truth in them all. I've been like that since I was 12 years old.

I believe your term fits me fine, been a moron for the past 50 years, so now I'm all over the world! - Omnimoron Global, Inc. I'll register that name with our Commerce Dept. Religion is big business in the Philippines. LOL

If someone says I'm a Pantheist, I think there's a person that has rejected organized religion but doesn't want to give him/herself over to rational thought. A Pantheist is an agnostic who labels the universe as a God not recognizing the baggage brought on by doing that. I think calling the Universe God is silly when the word Universe describes it just fine.

I need to dig deeper into this Pantheist thing . . . sounds to me like a maniac picking undies from his neighbor's clothesline from across the fence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1779
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.