Agnostic.com

8 0

Demonic possession

What's your take on being possessed. Real or not.

Teterbilt 6 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bullshit

Not. I suspect it is a kind of multiple personality disorder or something along those lines.

Mental illness is real, regardless of what we call it, or what we think causes it. Aligning our beliefs with verifiable facts helps reduce mental suffering.

skado Level 9 Sep 16, 2018

I have seen a lot of suposed true possessions but I have never been convinced. Lets pretend demons are real.... they have been around since the dawn of man. You would think they would be a little more eloquent than just repeating "I am the devil" . Watch The Devil and Father Amorth. It's a documentary. I don't think you will be impressed.

No such thing, and even in Christian/Jewish mythology demonic possession does not mean being taken over by a demon, the original term Possessed of a Demon comes from Jewish Mythology and means that You have possession of a demon, that is it is enslaved to you.
When Solomon built the temple which had to be built without the use of iron or metal, God gave Solomon possession of many demons he could bend to his will to do the construction for him.
What is commonly and colloquially referred to as possession is Demonic Obsession, where a so called evil spirit begins influencing your thoughts and actions from within and literally uses you as it as a chattel or possession as a human would them. When a Demon actually does takes over a body and animates it, this is called a transmigration.
The popularisation of the wrong term began after the the Film and novel the exorcist used it, saying a demon was taking possession of Ragan, and that it had gone beyond a mere obsession that could be dealt with by a normal exorcism.
The term became so popular the RC themselves began using it to avoid confusion.

But that is all mythology and fiction, a remnant of a by gone age

Of course not.. Psychotic episodes, or Histrionic (attention seeking) behavior.

Varn Level 8 Sep 16, 2018

Very much not real, as it requires the existence of demons and psychic powers. However, mental illness can be both misinterpreted as possession and can leave a sufferer believing they are possessed.

Jnei Level 8 Sep 16, 2018

Mental illness is sometimes interpreted in those of a religious bent as “possession “ by the devil or demons. They used to burn witches at one time for the same accusations., but today it can involve horrifying exorcism rituals and in some cases in primitive societies they can still be killed. It is quite chilling that these medieval beliefs and practices still persist in the 21st century......my answer is a most emphatic NO it is not real....how can people who don’t believe in god believe in such nonsense as demons!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:179997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.