Agnostic.com

10 2

What strikes you with awe? What inspires you? Is there anything that you experience fairly often that sets your spirit soaring? What is the most beautiful thing that you have seen or experienced?

ThomasMeador 7 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a pretty standard answer for atheists, but science strikes me with.

There is a spiderweb just out my back door. There is a window on my back door so I can see the spiderweb on a daily basis. When I look at it I am struck with awe. I rack my brain trying to think of the several events that helped the spider to evolve this talent. What are the intermittent steps that it takes to get to "web and that traps bugs". There have to be thousands of steps in between "bug that eats other insects" and "creature that creates a sticky substance that has the tensile strength of steel and weaves it into a web". That's just insane to me.

When I walk outside and an orchid is in bloom, for which I have waited a year. When I watch a chicken's egg hatch. When I look up at a star filled sky I feel awe. When a person creates beautiful art or music. Everyday there is something going around us that can inspire us.

I think that the sight that strikes me with awe, is a mother whale surfacing beside my boat with her new born baby that is bigger than my yacht following close to her tail. I think that seeing a family of dolphins playing in my yacht's bow wave always sets my spirits soaring, and I think that one of the most beautiful sights is a male red backed fairy wren in full mating regalier singing to his harem.

Life inspires me, I take joy and inspiration from almost everything about living. Every day holds its own surprises each sets my mind soaring. I live my life in a near constant state of amazement.
Even those things most people find mundane if I look closely can be wonderful to experience. I have been this way for as long as I can remember, it drove my parents nuts; I could take 3 hours to walk from the school bus to the house as a kid, there was just so, much to see and experience in that 100 metres.
I am sure that lots of people think I am nuts or suffer from ADD but, I am capable of extreme concentration and have accomplished some pretty amazing things in my life all while having a blast while doing them.

As many people are saying, nature is one, but also the concept of human progress. The latter being how far humans have come and shaped the world around us. The fact that we can communicate via an invisible connection all across the globe is marvelous and humans are still progressing. Though progress and nature may come in conflict once in a while they are both awe-invoking.

Natural nature. It's usually rare and inspiring such as seeing aurora off the northern pole of Jupiter. Or a rain cloud that's turned to ice showering iced rainbow diamonds at sunset. Unfortunately didn't have a camera for that event, but it was so beautiful my Brian took a photo...😉

Jammo Level 5 Oct 20, 2017

Sunrises and sunsets are amazing, as is looking into the sky at night. Birth of my children was up there in the emotional awe I felt at becoming a Dad. Sometimes walking in the countryside and hiking in the mountains can be a majestic experience, the Japanese have a phrase for this "Shinrinyoku". Flying above the clouds and looking down at the clouds or the ground below can be amazing. Music can also be very inspirational and soothing.

It is funny how these moments do make one hesitate about if there is a god or not - just for a second 🙂 It is amazing that the world is the way it is. Let's keep it this way.

My awe is waking up before sunrise pushing my boat out onto the lake with my fishing pole, laying down on my back looking up at the stars as the boat gently sways. I think I feel big looking out on the vastness knowing that billions of years ago my atoms were spread out for endless lightyears and came together to form me, and after me, they will spread out again to form an almost endless number of other things.

Starlight in a dark sky fills me with awe; it is probably the most beautiful thing I've experienced short of sex. Sex itself can be - and at times has been - a most beautiful mystical experience. A lot of music inspires me. Wild birds visiting my yard are an important part of my life. Their presence tends to motivate me because they remind me of my late mother.

I'm lucky enough to have a small creek nearby which i use for my morning dog walk. Always gives me joy watching nature do its thing. I pick up the garbage and keep the whole walk as close to pristine as I can. Great start to the day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1802
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.