Agnostic.com

4 0

There has been a lot of discussion of "what is an atheist" on this site along with occasional suggestions for alternative terminology. What do you think of the term "realist"?

tioteo 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

David Silverman goes into this extensively in his book Fighting God.
When we use other terms for Atheist pople do not know what we are talking about. There are so many Euphemisms out there that staistics show atheist as bing around 5% of our population(in the U.S.) where the actual demographics when all the Euphemisms are taken into account is much closer to 1/3 of the nation.

I'm with David Silverman on this one we should use the term atheist. People have at least an idea of what it means. When we use the term we normalize atheism and make atheist more acceptable.

Gay at one time was a derogatory term. The LGBT movement owned it! Now it is simply a descriptive term of ones sexuality.

Define realist

A realist depends on evidence.

i prefer it really

I like it. But I kind of doubt it would get anywhere, because everybody thinks they're realists. I have said elsewhere that I hate being labeled as "not something", even though I know my world is full of sky-god-believers who think that not believing is somehow deviant.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.