Agnostic.com

7 1

Olympics 2018 in South Korea

Are you looking forward to the upcoming Olympics for the pleasure of competitive sport or dominance of one nation over another?
Do you believe their are any amateurs in these competitions?

Tomas 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've lost most of the interest I had in the Olympics. It used to be great fun for me to watch. Now, not so much.

Nope. The last time the olympics were held in south korea a buddy of mine was an olympian with Puerto Rico's Basketball Team. How can we answer your question if you have not told us what is your definition of amateur?

In sport, I think of amateur as non-professional, unpaid for performance, also without endorsement money. At the high school level (non-scholarship subsidy). Amateur athletics performing (walk on) at the college level, again without monetary subsidy.
Today (last 75 to 100 years) the Olympics are a commercial entertainment event, sponsored by corporations, and home countries.

@Tomas Now that you had set your boundaries... there is no reason to ask the question since all olympics athletes are sponsored by their sport federation and those federations accept and receive donations from corporations plus their governments. There is even stipend for athletes so they train instead of working.

I remember newspaper and magazine articles, (propaganda?) about the amateur status of Olympians... I guess there’s no hiding their status today. @GipsyOfNewSpain

@Tomas They can't, It is all out now. No longer faking the glory. As a famous olympian said once he got the gold, "I did it for me, not for america"... later on changed gender from man to woman. Wonder what is thinking about doing now?

I'm not a sports fanatic but I love the Olympics. A couple of weeks every two years is just right for me. I root for the athletes and not the country. I would say that teenagers are amateurs and there are quite a few. There are also many that have spent years in competition but I just don't worry about it. I like to see what humans can accomplish.

gearl Level 8 Jan 25, 2018

I'm sure there are amateurs, I don't know if any of them are competitive.

it's never a level playing field excuse the pun.

I love the winter Olympics, even though New Zealand is terrible and the only medal we have ever won in the winter game was in 1980 something. This year we only have about 10 people representing us, but I will still watch 🙂 I love the ice skating and have recently developed a bit of a crush on the French guy Morgan Cipres. Nomnom 😉

Sacha Level 7 Jan 25, 2018

NO, is the simple answer, they have basically banned competitive sport in schools in the UK, wouldn't want to offend anyone

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.