Agnostic.com

4 4

QUESTION Swedish death cleaning: how to declutter your home and life

In our already busy lives, does tending to our online existence give us one more thing to do? Perhaps so. But it’s about taking responsibility for our own stuff. If we don’t make the decisions about what to keep or discard – whether actual or online – then ultimately others will need to. And if we don’t leave clear directions about where to find our digital content, it makes things tougher for everyone.

As Magnusson writes, death cleaning is “a permanent form of organization that makes everyday life run smoothly”. What better legacy to leave behind than to ease the bereavement process for the ones we love?

zblaze 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For death... I am old fashion... you can take your biz with you somewhere else.

Wish my father would have done this. Know my mother won't do this.

lol

I have been doing this for decades...i get itchy when there is too much stuff.

I had a good friend who loved to go to estate sales. So many times we went to a home full of clutter and whose owners died thinking the kids would want some of their stuff. They usually did not and hired an agent to sell it off. I think if people would think of strangers going through their personal things (like underwear) they might get motivated to get rid of everything except the bare essentials.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18278
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.