Agnostic.com

6 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's a lot of hyperbole, stretching, half-the-storys, and pre-drawn conclusions going on here.

@ghettophilosopher Okay, this is your opportunity to tell us which current musical act will be around for the next 30-40 years as an active performing real icon.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I think you make assumptions about what I listen to, but I'll bite anyway...

Jay-Z
The Roots
Jennifer Lopez
Beyonce

That's just off the top of my head. All of these artists are 20+ years tenured, with the exception of Beyonce who is just shy of 18 including group work.

@ghettophilosopher So ghetto rep... you are on record... let's open the time capsule in 20 years... let's see the relevancy then, without collaboration, standing on their own and corroborate your statement. By the way, nobody on my close circle... listen to them now. I will ask again in 20 years. Granted it is a small sample, but is a knowledgeable sample of musicians, dancers and music lovers. See Ya in 20.

At age 14 I had Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Cream, Chicago, Miles Davis... what you have justin beaver?

Very little talent these days and almost all new artist use auto tune.

All the best music was written prior to 1985!

Makes me sad my kid is going to love the shite that plays on the radio today! LOL

I would think you could have some influence if you choose to exercise it.

I guess I was very fortunate in having older siblings. At the "critical" ages mentioned in the video, I was listening to a wide variety of music genres; from Elvis, to the soundtrack of Oklahoma!, to Jan Peerce. My tastes in music now are still as varied, Pink Floyd (David Gilmour), Paul Simon, and Roy Orbison being among the top of my favorites.

But, I also enjoy many classical selections, as well as Zydeco, Bluegrass, and Hawaiian (modern, as characterized by IZ, and classic, as characterized by Gabby Pahinui), amongst several other genres. I think the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard is Schubert's Ave Maria, which I heard for the first time in the movie Prizzi's Honor.

Being born in 1949, my musical preferences were mostly grounded in late 60's and early 70's, which would have put me closer to my 20's. So, I guess I would have to admit to arrested development.

Not sure this is all that applicable to me. While I can recall much of what I listened to and enjoyed at 14, some of it stuck with me and some of it fell by the wayside. I also have a broader palette these days and some of what I choose to listen to now, I would never have contemplated at that age.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183899
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.