Agnostic.com

4 0

Now that computers and robots do all work will we have unlimited TV watching ,travel,card games and entertainment?what will we do with all the very bright people that do not take part in unlimited entertainment?

Marine 8 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

OK, I haven't watched television for over 30 years, I read each night, I have some digital entertainment so can watch a show if I choose, but maybe once every month or so. When others are performing their nightly ritual in front of the idiot box, we are usually having a nice walk down a few miles of deserted beach. I can't see I would change.

Good for you.Can you reccomend any good books?

@Marine Pretty much anythign by Raymond E Feist or Janny Wurtz if fine, but for something a little different and well worth the effort, "The Stone and the Flute" by Hans Bermann, the writing style is a little awkward for the 1st chapter or two. It is very different.

Thanks i will try all three

Riders of the Purple Wage by Philip Jose Farmer

Thanks. I worked for a major electronic company and an oil company in management and In both situations now over forty years ago, I saw plant operations taken over by robots and computer programs which eliminated at that time between 38000 and 40000 jobs.The first company at that time employed 172900 jobs and the second about 134000. These two companies today employ 81000 and 93000 jobs. Both are larger firms than they were back then.Guess what changed. Management was reduced because the computer did away with their jobs as were line people. Robots decreased line jobs by the thousands. This is only two companies that I am very familiar with . Not all the jobs the republicans speak of went overseas they were reduced by automation which do not need pension plans , health insurance,vacations, unions (which were broken by this program). To believe that the programs introduced by trump is going to make many more jobs is questionable? We have full employment by today's numbers but at extreme loss of benefits for the workers. Their pay is lower than when unions ruled; other benefits have been reduced like vacation time,health ins,and safety on the job. trump hates OSHA as do republicans in general as they reduce profits. I do not know what the future holds for the working class but it does not look good unless a great deal of change is made in our education now!

@Marine -- The usual excuse used for not raising wages and definitely the minimum wage is that companies will be forced into automating, or downsizing, or going out of business, or outsourcing, or any combination of the four. Anyone who knows anything at all about how business operates in this country (actually most countries) is aware that this is patently false. Businesses, particularly large businesses, are always looking for a way to increase bottom line and please shareholders and won't hesitate a nanosecond to achieve that at almost anyone's cost.

In pursuit of the bottom line, if outsourcing looks like it will help, then outsourcing is what will happen. Same for automation, moving out of country, or any means they find to increase efficiency/profit will happen -- the workers be damned. As for Trump increasing jobs to any significant degree, you and I and anyone who isn't mentally incapacitated knows that is red, white, and blue Murican bullshit.

Pursuit of profit is always the goal of all businesses including churches. They will always spend the least amount of money to make their product but it was not always that way.I worked 25 years for a large insurance company beginning in 1974 and this company at that time was a very pleasant surprise compared to the prior two large corporations I worked for. this company had bent over backwards for their employees and I could say I was proud to work for them. During the late 1980's management became involved with the church of scientology and things changed rapidly.Prior to this an employee's child was hit by a hit and run driver and the company posted a $100,000 reward to find the driver. Afterward, one had to be concerned that they might get fired for what they called lack of production which was a farce. They rewarded the highest producers and looked the other way if this was being done illegally. They fired these individuals when they were caught without any regard. When I left the company it was because I took early retirement 8 years before 65 and I was ashamed to state that I ever worked for the company. On a Friday I was recognized as outstanding manager of the year. The following Monday I given a choice to become an agent or leave the company. I left.

The premise of your question is false. Computers and robots don't do all the work.

We already have unlimited TV etcetera, for those who can afford it. Most of the very bright people will be intellectually curious and can find things to do.

For me it is far more entertaining to learn new things, do new things, research, and generally remain mentally and physically active. It is very low on my list of interests to be concerned with what others do or don't do unless it negatively impacts society and the future of this world, then I get very concerned.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.