Agnostic.com

2 1

QUESTION How To Show Your Partner They're Loved, Based On Their Love Language | HuffPost

Take the quiz to determine your love language ! Tell us how you do ! No grand gestures necessary. Understanding your partner’s love language could improve your connection.
In relationships, people tend to show love to a partner in the way they’d personally most like to receive it. For example, those of us who need a big bear hug when we’re stressed might assume our partners would want the same. In reality, they may wish we had helped them cross something off their never-ending to-do list instead.
This presumptive approach can be ineffective because we all have different preferences when it comes to what makes us feel loved and cared for. Gary Chapman ? A pastor, speaker and author who has been married for more than 50 years ? Explored this concept in his 1992 New York Times bestseller The 5 Love Languages, which has sold more than 11 million copies to date. (If you haven’t taken the quiz to determine your love language yet, you can do that here.)

Dougy 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was married till my husband passed.
We had excellent communication. We read that book together. We also read the Dr Gray books.
Love Languages are vital to keep relationships going strong.

Agreed, they are vital. But, didn't the book seem obvious? I know we get distracted in our lives. But, how do we fall that out of touch with ourselves and partners? I believe that the majority of problems in relationships are conscious decisions to not speak our partner's language.

In the book, he outlines the five love languages: "Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving gifts, Quality Time , and Physical Touch".
“After many years of counseling couples in crisis and taking notes during each session, I sat down one day and began thinking about what it takes for a person to feel loved,” Chapman told HuffPost. “It became apparent to me that what makes one person feel loved isn’t always the same for their spouse or partner. I discovered every person understands and receives love in a specific language, one of five to be precise. The other four are just as important and offer [other] ways to express love to each other.”
Taking the time to learn and really understand your partner’s primary love language, which is often different than your own, can improve communication and strengthen your bond.

Dougy Level 7 Jan 26, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18521
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.