Agnostic.com

5 1

Voting should be a public holliday and be entitled to some amount of tax deduction when you prove you voted.

Marine 8 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. ...tuesdays.. who came up with that shit?

Varn Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

Here in Arizona I am an early voter and vote by mail. I see few negatives to this and a lot of positive. I can sit and really look at the issues as I fill out the form. If everybody did this there would be no need for a holiday and no need for standing in line for hours as some do. I am a bit against giving entitlement to someone just for putting x's on a paper as there are those that would just put those marks there to get that reward and not be conscientious about it.

gearl Level 8 Sep 23, 2018

In Oregon all our voting is done by mail and it's great! We even have drive up ballot boxes!

No. Absolutely NOT.
If you are too fucking lazy to get off the couch and vote, then screw you.
Voting is your civic duty. If you don't do it, you have no right to complain about anything.
The POWER to VOTE is reward in and of itself.

People are already lazy and entitled. Let's not reward those character flaws.

Um, what about people who have to work?
That aside, I think all states should adopt Oregon's vote by mail system. It's amazing

@Remi I've been working and voting for 34 years. Most voting places open at 7 am (some at 6 am) and don't close until 7-9 pm. Also, I have never heard of an employer who wouldn't give a longer lunch, let someone come in late, or let someone leave a little early to vote.

"Argue for your limitations and they are yours"

In 2012 there were 235,248,000 people of voting age in the United States in the 2012 , with a turnout of 54.9%.

I don't think a public holiday would positively affect the turnout...it would be a good reason for retail sales.

A tax incentive could be tried, people are nutty about taxes.

cava Level 7 Sep 23, 2018

Even though it is a very important right we have many still need some incentive to vote. Making the day a holiday frees them from going to work and the tax deduction an incentive to make that very important vote.It is ashame that incentives need to be made when other people are fighting wars to get this right but if we want the votes it is something we should consider.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:185469
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.