Agnostic.com

3 0

For the ones who are spiritual, which and what do you believe and how did you come to believe it

KennyLash 3 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sensing something more - recognizing awesome living essence while hugging a giant Redwood or acknowledging the tiniest living shell on the beach and how it fits in the universe - feeling/knowing the endless tenacious influence of Mother Nature - being aware of the vast knowledge we do not have - an openness to mysteries we cannot define.

Spirituality is not much concerned with belief or disbelief. Spirituality comes from deep awareness and appreciation for the higher and truer reality beyond the senses. Spiritual people live in joy and gratitude because they are not afraid to face the staggering, overpowering implications of the mystery and beauty of existence.

By what method did you determine that there is a "higher and truer reality beyond the senses"?

Sorry, but that still sounds exactly like wishful thinking

@Proto It is almost universally acknowledged that the perceptions of our senses are nothing but a symbolic representation of reality created by our minds—basically a dream based on a matter/space/time model. There is nothing to believe or disbelieve about that. It is established fact and plain to everyone who even thinks about it briefly.

Read “Reality is Not What it Seems” by eminent man of physics, Carlo Rovelli. Heck, read any of thousands of books on physics.

Sir Arthur Eddington:

The universe is of the nature of a thought or sensation in a universal Mind... To put the conclusion crudely — the stuff of the world is mind-stuff.

We are no longer tempted to condemn the spiritual aspects of our nature as illusory because of their lack of concreteness.

The scientific answer is relevant so far as concerns the sense-impressions... For the rest the human spirit must turn to the unseen world to which it itself belongs.

@WilliamFleming Being "universally accepted" is news to me. We may not be in disagreement, it may simply be a problem of semantics. The context in which the claim was made is my problem. There are demonstrable things beyond our senses which we can detect by inferring objective reality in a scientific capacity and "beyond" in a much more limited philosophical approach. Our inference of reality is based upon chemical and electromotive forces is in our brains, yes.
Objective reality being based on facts, facts are what we can show to be true, beyond that we are getting into the philosophical debates of reality which is not really contructive in the objective sense of things. I'm open to anything but my bias lies in what can be proven in a contextual sense.

@Proto Of course I agree that beliefs about objective reality should be based on testable facts. The question was about spirituality and I was trying to explain that spirituality is subjective—it’s about awareness, appreciation, awe, etc, and that belief or disbelief simply don’t apply. The correct response is bewilderment IMO.

I can do that too:
I believe in X because it makes me feel good and because I'm too lazy to honestly explore alternative explanations of phenomenon Y for which X serves as a suiting explanation for my unskeptical mind.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 24, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186105
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.