Agnostic.com

6 2

Prosaic Reification

"For some reason which I have not yet found anywhere explained, the popular, unenlightened practice of prosaic reification of metaphoric imagery has been the fundamental method of the most influential exegetes of the whole Judeo-Christian-Islamic mythic complex. The idea of the virgin birth, for example, is argued as a historical fact, whereas in practically every mythology of the world instances have appeared of this elementary idea. American Indian mythologies abound in virgin births. Therefore, the intended reference of the archetypal image cannot possibly have been to a supposed occurrence in the Near East in the first century B.C. The elementary idea, likewise, of the Promised Land cannot originally have referred to a part of this earth to be conquered by military might, but to a place of spiritual peace in the heart, to be discovered by contemplation. Creation myths, furthermore, which, when read in their mystical sense might bring to mind the idea of a background beyond time out of which the whole temporal world with its colorful populations has been derived, when read, instead, historically, only justify as supernaturally endowed the moral order of some local culture. In short, the social, as opposed to a mystical function of a mythology, is not to open the mind, but to enclose it: to bind a local people together in mutual support by offering images that awaken the heart to recognitions of commonality, without allowing these to escape the monadic compound."

"In the popular nightmare of history, where local mythic images are interpreted, not as metaphors, but as facts, there have been ferocious wars waged between the parties of such contrary manners of metaphoric representation. The Bible abounds in examples. And today (1984-85), in the formerly charming little city of Beirut, the contending zealots of three differing inflections even of the same idea of a single paternal "God" are unloading bombs on each other.
One cannot but ask: What can such tribal literalism possibly contribute but agony to such a world of intercultural, global prospects as that of our present century? It all comes of misreading metaphors, taking denotation for connotation, the messenger for the message; overloading the carrier, consequently, with sentimentalized significance and throwing both life and thought thereby off balance. To which the only generally recognized correction as yet proposed has been the no less wrongheaded one of dismissing the metaphors as lies (which indeed they are, when so construed), thus scrapping the whole dictionary of the language of the soul (this is a metaphor) by which mankind has been elevated to interests beyond procreation, economics, and "the greatest good of the greatest number."
Do I hear, coming as from somewhere that is nowhere, the frightening sound of an Olympian laugh?"

• Joseph Campbell
    "The Inner Reaches Of Outer Space"
skado 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with the premise of social encapsulation as found in the creation myths. Without exception, the people who tell the stories of the beginning of all things place themselves and their land at the axis mundi, the navel of the world, the center of the universe, etc. God or the Goddess or the many gods inevitably move in their specific world and help shape their history while remaining indifferent or hostile to the "others" outside the charmed circle.

Mr. Campbell makes good points but in my opinion his writing style is nearly as pleonastic as Immanuel Kant's.

I saw that recently and thought it was something I needed to research since it would take the wind out of the religious freaks' sails. I had no idea so many beliefs had used the same scenario. Very interesting. That and the belief in "Do unto others " seem to be the only common threads, but that says something. Were they copying each other or did it stem from a common truth? Changing it from the Golden to the Silver rule may not be as opposed as it first seems. It could be the meaning changed somewhat as the population grew and differences multiplied. Or it could be as simple as a concept that yet had no language to articulate it. As others on this sight have joked, they wanted answers when they die. I do too. And if answers are not waiting for my energy when I die, I'm gonna be plenty pissed and looking to kick some ass. Lol. (Haven't beat anybody up since I was 10!)

They probably weren’t copying each other, because they were too far separated by time and location. I think Campbell’s point is that it is an emergent quality of human nature.

Never been a big fan of that theory, but then I am different. I can't rule it out completely, I suppose @skado

this whole thing is written by Joseph Campbell correct?

Yes.

Once upon a time I wrote a theses is a hurry, and got a B+ instead of an A because I wrote it in "ordinary language" instead of academese........written in bright red ink on the top. Screw you, professor, did it not mean the same thing?

Sometimes "ordinary language" isn't precise enough. This is certainly the case in science and law. Not sure about theology. But I admit this can make it very hard to read. (I haven't yet succeeded with the above.)

Man.... that's a lot to read to say it's all bullshit. Or it could be all bullshit. A colorful metaphor. Fighting for a misunderstood interpretation of something written by man. Not really knowing if its right or wrong...... grrr! Killing in the name if the lord..... damn!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18643
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.