Agnostic.com

10 5

Where are the reliable sources where you get your news from?

As many news sources no longer really practice journalistic ethics and seldom verify facts, I was just wondering where people get their news.

A Fox news affiliate in Florida was sued for wrongful dismissal, because the journalists were fired for not lying in their story about a Monsanto product which was supposed to make cows produce mroe milk, but in fact made cows more susceptible to infections and some of the "increased mil production" was actually puss from infection. The Journalists won, but Fox appealed and the decision was overturned on the basis that an employer can require employees to lie in order to protect cooperate interests of theri employer. From that point on news has descended into tabloid like reporting. Added to the Fact that the Regan and (first) Bush administrations defnged the fairness doctrine and the corporate media has become mostly one sided and corporate friendly in their reporting.

It used to be forbidden for he advertising departments to even talk to the news departments. Now, the advertising departments can kill a news story, because it might hurt advertising revenues. So, the American public is nowhere nerly as well informed as they used to be. The News department in broadcast media is no longer separate from the entertainment division, so they try to make the news entertaining rather than informative.

The broadcast media gets rights to the airwaves for free. In return they are supposed to devote part of their broadcast tiem to be in the public interests being informative or educational, which is the only reason why they broadcast news in the first place.

So, I got off track a bit there, but I was wondering where do you get your news from and how reliable or accurate do you think it is?

I get most of mine through NPR, PBS and the BBC, which are all non-profits, but some corporate sponsorship's have affected the way they cover stories, so not even those are sources of great jounalism anymore.

snytiger6 9 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m with you on NPR, PBS and the BBC … I actually prefer the BBC; instead of pitting radical representatives from opposing sides, forcing us to parse out the facts - the BBC finds someone well versed in the facts - and goes from there.. I also appreciate their lengthy presentations, it’s like they’re actually trying to educate their citizenry.

I’m concerned that PBS/ NPR have been so defunded by US tax dollars that their message has shifted from center - to left (though liberal friends call them conservative and conservatives call the liberal..) -- due to the politics of their actual viewer/ listener supporters...

I’ll stumble onto some good podcasts, like ‘The Daily,’ but as I only use a laptop, they’re not always at hand. Other than a weekly local paper, I’ve no newspapers ..sad to say. Rarely watch network TV, so nothing local or national from them. I’ll follow online leads that ignore my ad blocker… Good question (if lengthy intro 😉)

Varn Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

Wow - amazed people outside of the uk buy into the bbc's impartiality nonsense! For a rough idea of what's going on from people on the ground at any given event... I dip into twitter!

I check out almost everything. Except Fox. I just can't with them (they aren't even a news organization anyway).
I've gotten pretty good at knowing when I'm being lied to.
My grandfather always told me, "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see." He was a world-class bullshit artist. I paid attention.

Yeah, Rupert Murdock made his fortuen with tabloids, and tabloid reporting is basically the journalistic standards Fox uses.

I like BBC, MSNBC, I watch all of them now just to see what HE's done in the past 24 hours.

"democracy now" can be good as is "the taylor report" on CIUT radio [ university toronto radio] The beeb has been a propoganda outlet for the british govt. since inception. NPR has some good seminars

I have heard good things about One America News Network. [oann.com]
Comments?

I like to compare and contrast, using MSNBC, NPR, Al Jazeera, BBC, Washington Post, and Politico.

BBC and I also check out Al Jazeera once in a great while.
I've been just a little leery of PBS since I noticed that one of the Koch brothers is a big donor.
This may not be something new, but I just noticed it not too long ago.

Yeah, The Koch brothers do invest a lot to try to control the shape of the media.

get a different perspective from the bbc

CBC or the BBC are the most reliable in my opinion.

try democracy now or taylor report on CIUT radio [ university toronto ]

I have but, they are only available to me on line something that is not as reliable out here in the sticks as it is elsewhere. Tying to watch most videos on line here is truly painful as is live radio most of the time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.