Agnostic.com

2 1

Picking a category for this post was difficult. I picked "General" because this probably fits most categories.
Here goes: Emotional v. Rational decision making
What first got me thinking about this was a business partner who always made his business decisions based on logic, reason, and rational thought. He made a point of it. One day I am watching him go through the process he used and it dawned on me how often his rational decisions reflected his emotional being.
Then I began to think more about it and realized emotional decision making has a lot going for it. You hear a rustling in the long grass? Is that the wind or a hungry lion? Better get that one right evrytime, and no dawdling whilst you figure it out.

Dick_Martin 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nearly all decisions are emotional, especially moral ones. It has to be that way because sometimes you have to act quickly and there is no time to ponder whether you should rescue that deer from drowning or whatever. Reason is used to justify them after the fact.

My kids grew up in the bush, rustling in the grass could be a snake, but that is not emotional, I find it quite rational. Emotional would be going after the snake to kill it.
My parents funded my brothers drug habits, mostly, but not always indirectly. The didn't want to upset him, so fear or displaced compassion. The rational action would have been to have him locked up and dried out.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.