Agnostic.com

4 7

Posts by the few conservative members seem to reflect person-centric thinking rather than objective, evidence-based thinking. To agree or not based on being liberal or conservative is a rather poor means for making a judgement call.

Rather than evaluating current events based on evidence or using some objective criteria, they seem to interpret everything in personal terms the way conservative Republicans do. The views of individuals appear to be vastly more important in their judgement than do any circumstantial facts. Conservatives are seemingly quick to give a pass for bad behavior to those they like, while being hypervigilantly suspicious of those they dislike.

astrochuck 6 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not sure that line is so clear cut

Tribalism. Too many people stick with their political party like they stick with their sports teams. It doesn't matter if the team is objectively bad, it's their team and they will gladly punch the crap out of the fans of the opposing team. I know that some conservatives will choose a position on an issue solely based on what will "make the libtards cry." No thinking about the issue at all, just opposition to the opposing team. They have one pet issue and don't really care about the rest. They just care that their team is winning.

@astrochuck -- I am registered as a Democrat because my state does not have open primaries and I think the primaries are as important as any other electoral process, at least most of the time. A lot of balancing can be done in the primaries. I am actually one of those independent thinkers who votes based upon platforms, stances on issues, and all the details I can ferret out. It amazes and disappoints me what I see in both camps at the extreme ends. However, I would tend to agree with your observations of the conservatives in general.

One change I would like to see is equal recognition of other parties and their candidates as well as all of them being on the ballot. I think that is doable, but as probable as miracles on demand.

I’ve noticed this too. I’m liberal and most of the people I know are liberal. But lately I’ve noticed more and more are fanatical about it. I try my hardness to look past party lines and ask myself “would I agree with this person if I knew which party they belong too?” I think I might be surprised. It is difficult to keep an open mind in politics but I try.

For starters people I know post ridiculous memes about Trump and his administration. The media judged Sarah Huckabee Sanders on her makeup judging that she is ready for Halloween. I don’t like it when republicans do this and I don’t like it when Democrats do it.

Many people pick a party and then defend that party no matter what occurs. Most people don’t understand politics (and I’ll claim a moderate amount of ignorance) so they hang onto every word their party says and it essentially becomes a belief system. I try to look at issues apart from which Party is presenting the issue.

I suppose I question too much. But I have to be fair and not say that Democrats are right every time. That’s unreasonable, yet, this is how it seems to works on both sides. What if I am wrong but refuse to see past my biases? I don’t want that. I want to judge an issue based on what is fact and not stay loyal simply because I should believe and agree with everything they say.

Fanatical may have been too strong iof a word here and I apologize. @astrochuck

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18806
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.