Agnostic.com

5 3

Who is watching the Kavanaugh hearing?

Are you watching the Kavanaugh hearing today?

Katnap 4 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yep. It's a circus. A sad, sickening circus that should have never happened and I don't want to watch it but feel like I should.

I'm starting to see how the base anti-intellectualism that feeds the culture of delegitimizing experts serves a certain agenda: you can curate your own facts if no one is qualified to tell you you're wrong, or disqualify your own annointed experts.

@josh_is_exciting that was just a general statement. In this case, I'm thinking of stuff like "Well, how come you don't remember xyz; how are we supposed to believe you when you can't recall...?" The scientific (and fair) way to approach that would be to consult experts on memory formation of traumatic events, to see if the kind of reporting in question is consistent with observed and expected patterns of memory in trauma cases. In a culture that strategically discounts (and even disparages!) professional expertise, it could be quite easy to counter, overlook, or even altogether dispense with such a check. Then you have people who are not experts in the field calling into question someone's credibility on a specious claim (which might be easily dispatched with a little consultation)--and a watching audience of likewise non-experts stroking their chins thinking "Yeah, sounds about right...". That was just an example. I see this kind of thing all the time: people making claims about they way things are based on what makes sense to them, without anyone saying "Hey wait a minute, what does the scientific literature say about this? What do the experts say? Is it possible that the reality of this situation is more than meets the eye?". I'm not sure how much is simple strategy and how much comes from legitimate anti-intellectualism, but I'm sure the later helps the former. This fracas has just illuminated that for me in a peripheral way.

Nope!

This poor woman is so nervous and scared. I feel for her.

yes

Raises hand

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:188192
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.