Agnostic.com

4 1

Words of reason

Atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others ...
Are they all right?, all wrong? ... or just the only one of them, is the truth?

belfo 6 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

you forgot "some right and some wrong", but it wouldn't matter, since some of those address different things entirely.

they aren't religions.

atheism is neither "right" nor "wrong", it is the statement "I don't believe that" to the proposition "there is a god". if the person actually doesn't believe it, then they are right, they don't believe it.

agnosticism is the statement "I can't know that" to the same proposition. If they can't know that, then they are also right.

humanism is a philosophy of behavior, and "right" and "wrong" would only apply to it in context of desired outcome.

freethinkers are right. every man should evaluate their knowledge and experience in determining which path to follow, anything else is indoctrination.

skeptics take the view that any proposition should have the default view of "withhold belief until evidence is presented", with the added "extraordinary claims are suspect until extraordinary evidence is presented". they are neither "right" nor "wrong", it is a way of looking at the world that is useful in many scenarios.

I reckon they're alright.

Some are a bit wierd, but hey, that's life.

🙂 🙂 🙂

There might be some confusion among this group.

That's not a very coherent question. Maybe you could be a little clearer?

After all, these all overlap tremendously; in fact -- atheist, freethinker and skeptic are, effectively, synonyms. Atheists are atheists as a side effect of being freethinkers and skeptics. Most atheists are humanists or broadly agree with humanists. Most atheists are also agnostics.

I suspect you do not understand the terms you're asking about.

Each group has specific orientations, their own convictions, their arguments and evidences , The question that I asked is very clear, Logically does not accept more than an answer, I mean, for example,Can we say they are all right?

@belfodil I agree with both atheism and agnosticism, as well as humanism, freethinking, and skepticism. I would describe myself as all of those actually. None of those are mutually exclusive. They are just different facets of the same general view, that critical thinking matters, and that one does not make assertions that can't be substantiated. I suppose that humanism stands somewhat apart, as you can be a critical thinker and a misanthrope at the same time, but in my experience, atheism does not inherently interfere with the notion that humans have more in common than they do differences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:188975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.