Agnostic.com

17 5

Is lusting really a bad thing? Can lust ever be enough to maintain a relationship?

Why would lusting be wrong? Can lusting without loving ever be enough?

• 7 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 20 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 1 vote
paul1967 8 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I might have answered this differently if not for some experiences. I had a very good friend who was always lusting after women. He was the town playboy. He had the personality, physique and reputation (some women look for a 'safe' one night stand) and he took advantage of it. He also would find someone who he cared about and she would semi-move in with him. Of course he never changed and when she was not there be it was back to the same behavior for him. Funny, the women were attracted to him because of his reputation but once they got him they thought he would change. He never did.

Ey yo mista white, what about bloodlust?

It is NOT sex and money that is the root of evil it is the lack of them!

There is a lot mroe int he world than just sex. If tht is all that is shared, it is very doubtful it will last.

It's like Woody Allen said:

Sex without love is an just an empty experience. - But as empty experiences go it's one of the best!

L.O.L!

Paul Level 5 Oct 22, 2017

LMAO yes yes it is

I've had some wonderful connections that were pure lust and nothing else. When both parties are open to the idea, and honest with one another, it can be a very good time, and leave those involved feeling richer for it ! No regrets.

Lusting definitely isn't a bad thing in a mutually lustful relationship 😉

Obviously, lust has also been the occasion for all kinds of inappropriate, unethical or outright criminal behavior that ends up hurting the lust-ee, the lust-er, and/or third parties. For the most part, though, lust itself isn't wrong; what matters is how one conducts oneself under its influence.

Can lusting without loving ever be enough to maintain a relationship? That depends upon the expectations of the relationship, but I think not - simply because real life happens. Folks get injured or sick, or parents pass away, or something crummy happens at work. If the foundation of the relationship is lust without love, the response to those real life events won't be sensitive to the other's needs. Fortunately, most humans develop loving feelings for those with whom they have a mutually lustful relationship.

Lust is a great way to start a relationship and hopefully you can both keep it going. If the lust also means you fall in love and are compatible for the long term, then even better!

Depending on the people involved, it can turn into something if its strong enough, timing, good intentions are there, & both are open to that. There are various types of lusting as well.. another thing to consider as all lusting is not the same.

Lusting is not love, and I admit that lust often occurs when falling in love but love happens despite lust. I've loved without being attracted to a man. Falling in love has causes that don't always relate to lust. I've fallen in love with a person willing to sacrifice himself to protect me. Someone who was there in my worst hours, never adding conditions for his affections. He let me be me and never judged me for it and cleaned me up and took me in whenever I needed. I watched him die a slow death from cancer and my heart was shattered the day he passed away and I wasn't there to say goodbye. I loved him without lust.

What is a "relationship"? All that matters is that the people in a relationship accept each other's definition.

Lust isn’t enough to maintain a relationship, but one can be built from it. That is if both parties are on the same page about the relationship.

A lot of relationships that last a life time start with lust, lust is the spark that light the fires of love that burns to the coals of commitment.

Their are people with whom I have a lust relationship, which could never develop into anything more. I had a guy the other day complaining about losing our statues and our country and I replied that he can never talk about these things or I will never be able to perform again. LOL Lust is easy to find, but I want lust and love.

I voted lust can turn into love, and lust is never enough.
I'm just going by personal experience here but your mileage may vary.
Lust is great for getting a relationship off the ground and up and running so to speak.
I think the passion (lust) will slowly wear off without love to make the relationship have a solid foundation.

I think lust is just another name for initial sexual attraction, and thus nearly every sexual relationship that develops will start off with some degree of lust. Whether that develops into love is purely a matter of time and chance and chemistry.

That is exactly the way I feel about it too. People around me (here in the Bible belt) always tell me a lustful heart is an evil heart. I reply then in your worldview we're all pretty freaken evil because without lust we wouldn't survive as a species.

Love is impossible it never lasts sex is impossible it does not last long enough!

While there have been some amazing relationships out there that started out as lust usually they all end. Now I am speaking from my own experience so I could be very wrong. I have been in several relationships that started off as lust but usually something will happen, whether it be me or her, that will end the relationship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1897
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.