Agnostic.com

10 0

Discoveries in science tells us that the universe is expanding. Is there a void somewhere that would suggest itself as the place that everything is expanding from?

SchuylaRDiamond 6 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Universe is not expanding - it can not.

The Observable Universe is expanding - which is the remnants of Big Bang

gater Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

It's not expanding into space. The space (and time) within our universe is expanding. Current theories suggest that the singularity at the origin of our universe was / is the result of a collision between two other universes or is contained within a black hole that resides in another universe.

Time doesn't expand

As I understand no. The universe is like an expanding balloon. If you draw dots on it before blowing it up, the dots become further apart.

Or to?

No, there is no middle point to infinity, think about it. if there is no boundary, how can it have a centre?

What is it expanding into?

space time, Its exact value is 299,792,458 metres per second.

Who knows my friend....we have scientists word for this opinion of the universe is getting bigger by something ridiculous like....100 million miles a day....how they truly can work this out I have no idea....they don’t even know where the universe begins and ends.....all they have is theories.....I get for example how they know the size...speed and area of the moon....I watched a program on them working out the math....but these theories of black holes...which professor Steven Hawkins again can only speculate and theorise on....and suns and galaxies beyond our galaxy....which according to a physics group I follow on fb....speculate and theorise that to move outside our Milky Way....is something to the extreme of 100000 light years....but ....science is beautiful....I was once told...if u want a job....become a scientist.....there will always be questions asked and questions answered....

There are still lots of unanswered questions, but black holes are well established.

Actually a Blackhole Is described in Einsteins theory of relativity..
Also wrong about Professor Hawkings "Speculations" about Blackholes have been proven correct.. Spacetime can and is warpped by gravity..a great example of this Gravitational Lensing..in with light is bent by the gravity of galaxies..this is how distant galaxies are identified.

Scientists call it dark matter, but aren't really sure exactly what the cause is yet.

We've known that the universe is expanding for decades... No void.

Best part of a century, actually — Hubble published in 1929.

Nope..just like there is No center in an expanding balloon..the universe is expanding in all directions simultaneously..

I've always understood it to be an assumed point a which it started, do to measuring backwards of the exact force your talking about. So if the assumption is correct it would lead back to a singular point where the big bang occured(in that theory) and the "place" may not be the easiest word to use. Let's remember we are talking about the beginning of space time, meaning before this isn't a coherent concept or describing before of during as a place wouldn't be as irate until after the initiation of space time. (All this was written after 16 hours at work, excuse anything dumb I may have left in there 🙂

on a one dimensional scale!

@magicwatch
I feel it only appears so from our 4 dimensional perspective..

@PaulRecomStop
Yes, but that point is a singularity..a point of infinitely condensed energy..they are also theorized to be at the heart of Blackholes as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19003
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.