Agnostic.com

6 0

Does anyone know about the kalam? And how it pertains to catholocism?

CallMeSaul 4 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I should have been more specific. I deal with the kalam from Muslims regularly. Recently it's came up with Catholicism and I'm looking for differences! Thanks!

Argument from first cause. The Kalam Cosmological Argument. Here are the posits:

Everything that exists/begins to exist has a cause of its existence.
The universe exists/began to exist.
Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.

That last line is supposed to convince all listeners that the arguer's god (take your pick) is surely the cause. Ho hum ... nothing to see here. Move along.

That's the old kalam. Once people start pointing out that by this logic, if God exists, something caused God, making the same problem only with a evangelical middle man.

William Lane Craig is the most prominent apologist that uses this, and he's evangelical. He words it "everything that had a beginning.." . Then he assumed the Big Bang Theory and excludes God by simply asserting God to be eternal. The problem is he had no evidence of God's existence, much less his eternality, and many cosmologists are now saying the Big Bang may only explain our current known universe, and in fact the cosmos may be eternal, or cyclical, or produce multiverses.

This kid does a great job of explaining it.

Its a philosophical argument whereby one might have to conclude that there must be a supremely powerful creator god. It allows for some people to reconcile our scientific knowledge of the universe, including the concept of the big bang, with theism and a belief in god. I think. But I don't buy it.

@irascible I personally love the argument, but I may have a sick facination with shooting fish in a barrel.

I only know what google knows. It is a defense of faith against doubters and originally was specific to Islam and then Jews developed their own kalam. I did not see anything specific to Catholicism. Maybe someone else knows.

Here is a link to it, but it doesn't really pertain strictly to Catholicism

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19082
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.