Agnostic.com

3 1

An important distinction!

Faith is belief in the absence of facts. Willful ignorance is belief in spite of the facts. Willful ignorance is often mislabeled as "faith" by religious persons. There is a difference!

snytiger6 9 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It can be willful, I agree. In my case I was brainwashed as a child and willful as a result. Here also, there is a difference. I was unable to think rationally due to the brainwashing, until I reached the age of about 20, and was seperated from my fundamentalist cult.

I think many here have similar experiences. In my case, I tried to think like my Mormon parents did, but it jus tnever took, even though I tried, rationality won out.

I was raised in the Church, my parent both religious fanatics - im the only atheist of my 3 siblings. I call it brain washing, its horrible to fill a childs head with such inaccurate information.

I can't hate them for it - im sure they were brainwashed as children too.
Christianity goes back a long time, many have died over it.
Im glad we are becoming more aware as a species.

gater Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

Brain washing is just one piece of ht3e puzzling solution to understanding.

There is a great reluctance for people to admit they are wrong, een when they have doubts themselves. They lived and based their lives on their beliefs and to admti they were mistaken means all the effort and work they put into their beliefs was for nothing. That is hard to accept for many people.

Also, I have stated several times that giving up the beliefs is easier than giving up the sense of community and the sense of belonging. If you are religious and give up the beliefs you go from beign a part of a community to standing alone. As animals humans evolved as "herd" animals. gathering in groups makes up feel safer, because that is how we survived as we evolved. Most people feel safer in a group, even if they have doubts about shared beliefs, than they do by themselves. The one positive thing religion gives people is a sense of community and belonging., and when a person feels they have a place in a group they feel safe.

@snytiger6 Very good comment - Although I was happy when I realized the truth - it made me sad because I could no longer be a part of my church.

I agree!

skado Level 9 Jan 28, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19083
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.