Agnostic.com

11 10

QUESTION Generation Z is More Atheistic Than Any Other Age Group – Friendly Atheist

Generation Z (born from 1999-2015) is the least Christian generation we’ve ever seen.
The study indicates that 35 percent of Generation Z teens considered themselves to be atheist, agnostic or not affiliated with any religion. By comparison, only 30 percent of millenials, 30 percent of Generation X and 26 percent of Baby Boomers said the same.
The study shows that almost twice as many teens in Generation Z (13 percent) claimed to be atheist than millenials (7 percent).
And keep in mind we got to those numbers long before Donald Trump entered office and began exposing the rampant hypocrisy of white evangelical Christians. They were already losing numbers and respect, and Trump will inevitably make their problem even worse before he’s booted from the White House. They know this. They don’t care, though, considering how many Christian leaders continue standing by Trump no matter what horrible things he says and does.
Another reason Gen Z wants nothing to do with Christianity? 69% of them accept the notion of a transgender identity while a third know somebody who’s trans. Just as we saw with gays and lesbians, it’s hard to demonize somebody you know, and what is evangelical Christianity these days if not the largest anti-LGBTQ club in the country?
If you want to hate people, their doors are wide open. If you want to fight for civil rights, you won’t be able to do it from within the church walls.

Dougy 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let us hope that these new atheist's are able to reverse the large amount of flak that the trump adm is putting forth. One billion dollars in aide to churches so far with school vouchers, allowing the churches to become political and still recieve tax benefits. These same individuals are attacking school ciriculums trying to eliminate evolution , big bang and teach religion in the public school systems.

Hope for the future!

Trump is not even a Christain. He just uses them because he knows a conservative can’t win without the support of the religious right. Hell idiots like Obama, Clinton, Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are a far greater threat to this country than Trump. Trump has done a great job so far.

Love this post, as a babyboomer myself I used to think I was the only Atheist in my family buy as the older generations died off I learned my older brother is probably an atheist,, his wife is and yay! so are ALL of his kids! They are grown themselves and one has started a family with an Atheist wife so I am delighted as this is the generation that will help us rid the religious base in our politicians. I can foresee America electing more and more atheists to office and ridding us of all those religion based laws that arent supposed to be there to begin with. I can also see the day in my lifetime when we have an Atheist President elected!

Unfortunately I’d say it’s very unlikely you will live long enough to see an atheist president. As a livestock farmer I’m sure you understand that people like Obama and the democrats are a threat to our way of life. Obama fairly recently gave a speech saying that cows were a threat to the environment as they caused global warming. I’m a life long cattle rancher myself and fully understand the threat from these people.

@Trajan61 I will still take Obama over Trump any day and they did studies that show he isnt wrong. Cattle are a major contributer to the methane in our air but that doesnt mean we stop raising beef. I for one love prime rib. I am a livestock producer myself so I understand where you are coming from. I believe Obama did a pretty good job with what he had to work with and reality is no president will make everyone happy.

P.S. My solution to too many cows? Eat more, not less beef!

@Trajan61 based on their decisions I would say most Presidents were and are atheists. Most Christian's are too. It's very easy to fake being religious to people that believe the things religious people believe.

@Anonbene They are probably a lot of closet atheist but openly atheist people especially among politicians are virtually non existent. As far as I know there’s only 1 openly atheist congressman in the US Congress right now.

If you are a cattle person you might want to consider going to some of the National Cattlemans Beef Association Conventions or even reading some of their publications or even the local cattlemans groups as there is virtually no support for Obama among the cattlemens groups nor among rural groups in general for that matter. The only place the democrats have any support is in the big cities. Im sending you a 2016 presidential map that will show you that.
I’m going to have to find that map and send it to you.

@Trajan61 there are reasons to fake being a Christian, one is wanted to succeed in politics without even trying. So no they don't come right out and say it but again. Watch what they do and you'll notice they do very atheist things because they know there are no real heavenly consequences to their actions.

Here’s the map of the 2016 US presidential election which shows the the democrats primary support is in the big cities.

@Trajan61 actually I havent had cattle in 10 years. I raise meat goats. Better money and easier for a petite person to handle than cattle. I have attended many cattle related congresses over the years. Regarding Obama no president is perfect nor is any one president going to make everyone happy. For instance I wasnot happy about his cuts to NASA, but I had to weigh which issues were more important that that point in time and getting the economy back in line was far more crucial than NASA .

@Trajan61 just an addendum, I live in a very rural area and Obama won over half the vote in my area, which is farm country.

@Anonbene Trump is in my opinion the biggest fake christian ever

A big part of the reason Obama did well in Iowa farm country is because he supported corn ethanol. Obama did poorly in Oklahoma with only about 35% in both 2008 and 2012. In my home town in Butler Oklahoma after 8 years of Obama people were so disgusted with the democrats Trump carried 87% of the vote and further west in the Texas panhandle he got over 90%.

@misstuffy he has pretty tough competition the pope for one and our mega church pastors for more. There's no shortage of them

@Trajan61 As I stated previously no one president will satisfy everyone, but I can't abide someone that mocks the disabled and brags about grabbing women by the pussy. WOuld you trust your gorgeous young daughter in Trumps company if you had one? He has no respect for women whatsoever. And don't bother pointing out Bill Clinton, he is a womanizer too, BTW, I am not a Democrat or a Republican, I am an idependent and vote for whomever I feel will do the best job.

Strange how Gen Z and the popularity of zombies seem related. Just a coincidence probably.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

I just realized that Generation Z is the ones who'll be moving into the boomers who won't leave jobs and firing the millennials... Well we can fall back on politics and comics (1994/23 here).

Non-belief is the default position of all humans. Belief has to be taught.
No one is going to believe in any god or religion without being indoctrinated.

Now that I know Generation Z, Who are millennials and baby boomers?

Pew Research Center defines millennials as being born from 1981 to about 1997, with no chronological end point firmly established.
Demographers William Straus and Neil Howe define millennials as born between 1982–2004.
The Baby Boomer generation is 1945-1965.

@KKGator And what about 1966-1980?

@0752532706 I didn't look. I'm going to go with Yuppies. Google is a really good resource for looking stuff up.

@0752532706 Generation W . . . ?

Good. Perhaps they will be an intelligent generation?

I'm a Millennial.

So because of their youth and inexperience about life they are the most Ignorant too. So Let's call a Spade a Spade. I never considered me being an atheist all my life an improvement over a christian. It was simply what I am. Nothing more nothing less. No Labels. I am not at war with god or with religion.

What a really great answer!

@fantasticalice thank you.

White evangelicals have made it very clear they don’t give a damn about Christ and whatever he purportedly taught. If I asked you to name a famous Christian, you’re inevitably going to name someone who’s anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-science, or pro-Trump. Or Joel Osteen, who has no concrete beliefs about anything other than keeping people out of his arena/megachurch during a flood and then making excuses for it.
None of that bodes well for evangelicals when it comes to Gen Z or the generations after that.

Congratulations, everyone. I would love to say “We did it,” but how much of a victory can you celebrate when the other side keeps kicking the ball into their own net?

Dougy Level 7 Jan 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.