Agnostic.com

9 1

THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR WALKING

I am curious about how many miles or kilometers you have walked on a single trip, and a some details about your trip? Did you back pack, carry your own food, sleep in a tent? Where were some places that you hiked.

Leutrelle 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This thread was a walk down memory lane for me. THANKS 🙂

I did the AT in the 80's, backpacking, and have many fine memories of that trip. Was my entire summer long . . .

I would like to do part of it, but the clock is ticking, so I need to get on it. Sounds like you had a great time.

@Leutrelle I did, but I was young and a survivalist by nature. I hiked it miminalist.

The most per mile walking I did was 70 miles in 2 days. It was on the Ice Age trail in southern, WI. I hiked from the trail head to a hotel in Whitewater. I then spent the night in a hotel that had a hot tub. The next day I walked the 35 miles back to my car. The hotel clerk was confused by the fact I did not have a car. It was cool because I did not have to carry more than a day pack. I later backpacked on the Appalachian Trail for a month. I planned on going the entire way from Georgia to Maine. I hopped off the trail in Tennessee to try again with an ex girlfriend. I still regret that decision. My last name is Rudolph, and it was during the time authorities were looking for Erik Rudolph, the Unabomber. I got some looks when I told people my last name. Hiking the Appalachian Trail was more of a social event than I predicted.

70 miles in 2 days is hard core. I am thinking of getting new gear and packing on the Appalachian Trail. I'm not getting younger, so I need to get on it.

@Leutrelle it was 18 years ago I did the Appalachian Trail. It was cool. Lots of socializing, especially at night in the shelters that were lined across the trail . I always wanted to do it again.. I couldn't until after I retire and children are grown. I will be 67 then and would need to be in better shape than I am now at 55...who knows, maybe. I'd say you should go for it!

@Rudy1962 My trail name was Gourmet, because I made blueberry pie above tree line and pissed off the dehydrated egg crowd.
What did they tag you with?

@Davesnothere lol. I would have loved some of that on the trail. My trail name was "bookboy". I gave myself that name because I was a book salesman at the time. One night at a shelter we were joined by a guy who was just doing an overnight trip. We kept calling each other by our trail names without thinking about it, it was second nature by then. Finally he asked, "What the hell's with these names?".

@Rudy1962 I did not pick my name, I was at one of those lean to's near Bear Mountain in NY? and asked the ranger who was on duty if I could make a rock oven, he raised an eyebrow that I knew what that was, talked briefly about where I would put it, and assented. I then used my bisquick and the blueberries and elderberries I had been picking all day to make the pie.
I hiked the trail from NORTH to SOUTH, backwards, so I was mostly solitary, as Maine is my East Coast local, so why not start at Katahdin?
That night I had stopped at the lean to a little early when I found it instead of pitching tent, and as the hikers came in and began to prep those dehydrated rats, they smelled my pie. Offered to trade me all kinds of things, but fuck that, I worked for that damn pie!

Most had no clue what a rock oven was, or that you could make such a thing, or make a pie on the trail, hence the name.

This whole thread is chock full of many fond memories for me 🙂

@Davesnothere I'm glad this thread brings back fond memories. Yes, hiking north to south would be a less populated journey. I ran into one independent fellow going that direction. He seemed quite happy and independent. I never made it to the northern states. I also never had anything but power and granola bars, and dehydrated meals cooked on a small burner. Well except for the times I hopped off the trail, stayed in a hotel and ordered pizza. Respect for you for staying on the trail, going north to south, and creative cooking along the way. Barring something unexpected, I will not be taking the hike again.

@Rudy1962 Nor will I, I lived my life fully excepting to be dead by thirty, now pushing 60 my body tells me of my youthful folly daily and sadly REAL hiking is a thing of my past due to health, now I can take strolls.
It was more solitary and a fine hike, but the south in the late summer was rough hiking. Georgia's Red clay was mud from my own sweat

Never was much of a runner/walker, but I used to cycle quite a bit (much more so when I was playing hockey)...Typical distance would be 50-75 miles, mostly in the countryside along county roads. I really miss being able to do that!

I cycled also, and it is a lot of work. Probably the furthest I went was 50 miles, but it was on a single speed. The most I hiked in a day on a register trail, was 50 miles with pack.

Oh, man! I can't imagine doing that distance at a single gear. Even with a 12-speed and touring handlebars that distance would usually wreck my shoulders and elbows for a couple of days afterwards!

I did a 116 mile trek a few years back. I took a hammock, a blanket, a tarp, 50 feet of cordage, an MRE, a redundant water purification system, small fishing kit, rifle and ammo, and a damn good knife. I was in Maine hiking on private property. Best vacation of my life.

That is what it is all about there my friend. Are the biting flys bad there?

We have mosquitos you can pluck from the sky by the handful, horseflies that bite like horses and gnats you can't see. Not to mention the ticks and leeches. Oh, bears, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, moose and other dangerous critters. That's how you know you're alive. 😉 lol

Lemme guess, 116 miles on private property? Up in the county or near two forks?

@davesnothere out by the forks.

@jayneonacobb Nice country, couple years back I was up there visitng a frind in fall whenweather started to roll in. You know how it is there, WHAM. So I started south before the snow, too slow. Driving down 2 in blowing snow my brain says "Damn thats a big ass deer . . ."
Nope, yearling moose standing on the roadside in near whiteout. Hate to go off the road there in a storm, dam plow would come by and we'd find ya next spring.

Many years ago I took my horse from where I had it boarded up to and around Hamlin Lake (near Ludington, MI), on a 24-hour trip. I left at noon on one day, returned at about noon the next day. It was about thirty miles. I camped in the dunes during the night. I walked the horse about as much as I rode him...not wanting to get saddle sore. Nowadays that would not be legal inasmuch as the area I passed through has been designated as a Wilderness Area (horses not allowed).

The only times I've ever walked any significant distances is when the car has broken down. Not a hiker by choice.

I used to backpack in the Smokies with some friends. We never went that many miles, maybe six or eight, but just far enough to get away from modern life. We always carried tent, sleeping bag, food, stove etc. we always either camped in the Smokies or on the Cumberland Plateau.

I always wanted to hike the the Smokies, sorry to say I never got to walk the trails in the Eastern US. But I walked many many miles in the Sierras and the Trinities in California. We would usually stay out for at least a week at a time, and would start out with a 60 pound pack. They were some of the best days of my life.

@Leutrelle
We should work it out to where we could host each other. You could come here and hike the Smokies, and I could visit your part of the world. We could act as each other's guide.

@Eazyduzzit Thats a great idea. Though I doubt I could walk many places that I used to. The Tuolumne River Valley in Yosemite was an easy hike, but it is about 8000 feet elevation, and probably very crowded now.

@Eazyduzzit If you are serious I would like to partner up and hike.

@Leutrelle Sure, but I work full time, so I'd have to figure out if there was a time we could do it.

@Eazyduzzit I am going to get geared up, and will be ready. just message me.

The Smokies . . .
once, above tree line I was marveling at a T storm in the valley, stunned watching the lighting striking down into the valley a few miles off.
I watched for several minutes amazed before my brain kicked in "Hey dumbass, your above tree line, wearing an external metal fram pack, YOU are the fucking lighting rod"

I took my brains advice . . .

Carried my own food. It was grueling. Thank God I had that cart. I don't remember the actual mileage but I was parked way out in the middle of the lot. There were no benches - I had to make the whole trip in one push.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19379
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.