Agnostic.com

1 1

This post is inspired by Squirrellglider. If you work in an occupation where you risk life and limb each time you are at work why do you do it? Is it love of the job? Does it pay extremely well? Is it the only thing you know how to do? Are you the next generation in a line of my father did it, his father did it, his father did it and so on.

My father was a fisherman for many years and survived to work in areas in the military that got him hazard pay. He lived to age 88 but sadly the last few years were marred by Alzheimer's disease. It was difficult being around him so I didn't visit him much. Some 12 years later I still regret not being there when he passed.

SamL 7 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry you have these regrets, we all have things we would if we could, do over.
Statistically I work in one of the most dangerous occupations there is farming, I work long hours with dangerous machine and large animals, my WCB rate is one of the highest there is for an operation that has never made a claim. I do it because I love it and I am a risk taker. The risk taker is most evident in the chosen recreational activities of my youth mountain climbing, alpine skiing, free diving, white water canoeing, wilderness exploration and scuba.
I can't imagine taking the risks I have or do for money.
My father was a bookkeeper in a foundry who pour brass in his spare time, then he was a soldier in the war and then he, too farmed. My grandfather was a teacher, principal and then a farmer and his father was a farmer. I have gone back many generation and on my father's side it's all farmers and soldiers.

Thanks for your answer. I imagine many of our forebears were farmers.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.